MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like there was a reason why only a small amount of MG GS models were destined for the U.K as it has already been facelifted in China.

New bumpers, steering wheel, lower centre console and different outer air vents plus what could possibly be a leather faced lower dashboard option.

Source URL:

MG GS Facelift

Cheers..

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
A decent facelift, the interior especially. Let's hope it arrives here next year with some extra engine options.

·
Banned
other_manufacturer
379 Posts
I would imagine that Apple have copyright on those icons, not that such things usually bother the Chinese.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
329 Posts
The one I tried in the UK didn't have CarPlay so it's either new for this facelift or a feature for China only. Bit surprised to see a facelift after only 18 months on sale in China.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Apple CarPlay is available in China via inkaLink

UK spec GS does not have Apple CarPlay, only Mirror Link for Android.
The Chinese version of the new GS will have CarPlay as it is part of inkaLink which we don't get in the U.K spec cars:

The new steering wheel doesn't look as bulky as the old one:

The rear of the new GS looks like this:

Source URL:

http://www.saicmg.com/html/SNews/20161216/2300.html

Cheers..

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Yet in Thailand the current version was just launched in 1.5 form this month, so possibly only the 2.0 version?

I much prefer this steering wheel and interior but not the new rear bumper .

I reckon we will get this in 2018

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Facelift for all GS models

Yet in Thailand the current version was just launched in 1.5 form this month, so possibly only the 2.0 version?

I much prefer this steering wheel and interior but not the new rear bumper .

I reckon we will get this in 2018
The picture of the dashboard with someone's hand in the frame shows a car with the usual key ignition barrel so it is likely that the facelift is for the whole range and not just the 2.0 version.

Edit: The new models have been released for sale:

http://www.saicmg.com/mggs/

Here's a 360 degree model:

http://www.saicmg.com/topic/mggs360/

Cheers..

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,908 Posts
Considering that many possibly most UK new car consumers are going for these SUV types, if the UK spec MG GS looks like the one in those images I can see sales increasing here. Indeed, one may even appeal to me as more years pass by and the old bones and joints arn't as agile as they once were. Mind you, these things appeal to younger drivers too, particularly school run Mums if the pavements at the nearby school around 08.45 and 15.00 are a reliable guide.

Not seen a GS interior yet but, those GS interior images look impressive. If that is the case when seen "in the flesh" then all the better. Nice interiors with useful facilities are probably a higher profile more effective sales tool than nice stylish exteriors in recent years. Sadly, this can only mean that to my eyes the proliferation of obese, fat-gut uglies on our roads will continue. ... and the cars are just as bad, some of Monster Truck proportions ... ;)

:badaboom:

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,908 Posts
What's the link with Liverpool FC? Is there a bona fide relationship or are SAIC cribbing more Englishness?

Edit: Google finds an answer:
Liverpool FC sponsorship with Chinese automaker MG Auto will yield Liverpool-themed cars | Sponsorship | The Drum
News to me... very low profile on that. Very interesting. That will raise the profile in the new year. :~

As part of the arrangement, Liverpool players Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana and the captain, Jordan Henderson, will appear in TV ads for the company which will air early next year.
We shall see how things shape up. Just maybe the Chinese owners of MG are starting to take the potential of the UK Car Consumer market more seriously. That could be one successful way of doing that with the huge and widespread coverage of the Premiership League and consequent exposure to the still many who believe the only MGs are old ones, not new.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
News to me... very low profile on that. Very interesting. That will raise the profile in the new year. :~

We shall see how things shape up. Just maybe the Chinese owners of MG are starting to take the potential of the UK Car Consumer market more seriously. That could be one successful way of doing that with the huge and widespread coverage of the Premiership League and consequent exposure to the still many who believe the only MGs are old ones, not new.
Or people will think it is another advert for Nivea Men ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
329 Posts
Liverpool FC already has a domestic partnership with Vauxhall/GM so one would imagine that the MG tie-in would be exactly like the Cumberbatch adverts and only cover the Chinese market. So sadly we won't see an ad with Klopp, Henderson et al driving to a pizza restaurant in a GS any time soon.

A shirt sponsorship deal with a premiership club may be a shrewd direction for MG to take their advertising in, however. It would increase awareness in the UK market and also feed into the Britishness MG are trying to put into their image in China. It's also worth pointing out that the four largest football clubs in the West Midlands area where MG are based have all recently been bought out by Chinese businessmen though with the exception of West Bromich Albion they are all Championship rather than Premier League clubs for the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts