MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
"MG SV, a low volume, carbonfibre-bodied attempt at a supercar of which fewer than 50 have been sold"

Have they only sold 50??

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mostly positive comments on there from the readers I think.
How about the guy who slagged off the V8 75 as ugly - err hello!?

There was another guy on about making a hybrid like Toyota's Prius- not exactly going to make MGR money though is it, Toyota have to sell every one at a loss as far as Ive heard.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
It was a good report, probably the best ive seen.

Ive added my comments too.

I like what the american guy said, flog them through LR and Jag dealers and they'd sell a **** load of V8's. Its true, because the yanks arent bothered by a cars age, as long as it looks good, sounds good and goes quick!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
e668ecp said:
Im in shock the BBC printed mine - see ZT 2004 driver
Thats brilliant mate!

It is amazing they printed it and I love the "They will never be happy until all this country does is import goods and people"!

Well done.

Hope they print mine.

This guy obviously hasnt a clue:

When you compare a new rover (like a 45) to similar models built by its competitors - Vauxhall Astra, Honda Civic, Ford Focus - the truth hits you: The Rover isn't quite as good and costs £2000 more. I'm amazed they're still in business. Clearly the fault is with the designers, not the builders. Japanese cars built in Swindon or Sunderland are superbly constructed, run well and look good.
Peter, Nottingham

£2000 more, designers got it wrong??????????

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I think this 'old' model range comment is completely silly and an un-educated view to take. Many other manufacturers have pushed on with car models for the same amount of time if not longer. Two examples instantly spring to mind, that of the Peugeot 206 which is still selling and has seen little modification since it was launched nearly a good year before the Rover 75, and Vauxhall/Opel/GM who pushed the Omega on for 10 years before finally retiring that model and although it did receive a facelift a couple of years before they stopped production, underneath little had changed.

In the sports car world, sometimes models have lasted even longer than this, keeping in mind that's where the most money and development goes into and where cars can get left behind technologically very quickly. The Porsche 928 brand went on for a staggering 18 years, although as Rover have done with their models, it did see many revisions. And Mazda pushed the RX7 for an equally impressive 13 years - not bad for a car with an engine guaranteed to die with age.

In that respect, not one of the Rover's currently on sale has passed it's sell by date. Yes, new metal is needed, but isn't it rather convenient that for one company 'it's living in the past' but for another its not even an issue.
If the news persist in persecuting one for some reason at least the playing field should be even.

And another point to add, it may be doom and gloom at Rover, but not many other car manufacturers have a lot to smile about. GM aren't doing too well at all, and if the news is true Saab's future looks a very un-interesting one.
There's my contribution - doubt it will get printed - far too big. The low-budget journalist stuck behind a desk will probably get bored.

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
From the tone of that BBC article, I get the feeling that the author, while accepting the flaws and age of the current MGR range, actually DOES want the company to succeed in the longer term.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts