MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, don't know if I've realy posted this in the right forum but I'm slowly aquiring all I need to get my R200 looking some what like a ZR. bought skirts, spoiler front bib etc. new and a second hand rear ZR bumper.

now I realise that fitting the kit myself before driving it down to the body shop will save me money but I wasn't sure if they actually spray it atached to the car or not (I'm a real amature arn't I.lol)

secondly, as the rear bumper is 2nd hand it's covered in scratched......not particually deep but just from storage......will this require extra work to get painted?

Any advise on prep would be greatly apprechiated.

Cheers

·
Registered
rover_25
3,457 Posts
They wont spray the new bits while they are on the car so just take them down then fit them when they are done..

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
mikebailey_uk said:
Hi, don't know if I've realy posted this in the right forum but I'm slowly aquiring all I need to get my R200 looking some what like a ZR. bought skirts, spoiler front bib etc. new and a second hand rear ZR bumper.

now I realise that fitting the kit myself before driving it down to the body shop will save me money but I wasn't sure if they actually spray it atached to the car or not (I'm a real amature arn't I.lol)

secondly, as the rear bumper is 2nd hand it's covered in scratched......not particually deep but just from storage......will this require extra work to get painted?

Any advise on prep would be greatly apprechiated.

Cheers

They can paint them off the car, which means no time off the road. (give the bodyshop your paint code) The only worry would be fading of the existing paint. This would be your call.

Preperation is everything.

Make sure everything is completely smooth, use fine grade wet and dry to achieve this. NB this can take ages, but believe me, it is worth it! clean it off thoroughly and make sure it is bone dry. If you can get one, use a tack cloth (normally available at panel suppliers or paint mixers) to remove any last remaining crap on the Then put on an even coat of primer.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
cjmillsnun said:
They can paint them off the car, which means no time off the road. (give the bodyshop your paint code) The only worry would be fading of the existing paint. This would be your call.
Indeed. You may find it a good idea to see if you can leave the car there (probably wouldn't need it more than a day or two) so that they can blend it properly. It probably wouldn't bump up the price too much. Especially as you are having lots of bits painted.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Take all the bits down, in your car - not fitted.
Dont piss about sanding them, if you aint got a clue, they wont appreciate you messing.

They wont do it even 2p cheaper if its smooth or not. Your smooth, unless you are the bollox, is not their smooth.

Take bits down, they wont spray them on the car..usually due to space problems with backstreet places...

Then just go down, week later...and pick the bits up, in your car, or a bigger car...take them away, and fit them at home..
Tell them you are paying by cash, and kching, their eyes light up and u get a cash discount:)

This of course, is backstreet, not you main BMW sprayshop:)

Rear Bumper..EASY...side skirts..easy..you have got the 4 end caps, and double sided bonding tape etc yeh?...rear spoiler...easy...front bib...not so easy. Its not a straight fit. It needs cutting before spraying and fitting.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
if you need info on painting give si a pm he's been painting for quite some time now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
question

michaelperrin said:
Rear Bumper..EASY...side skirts..easy..you have got the 4 end caps, and double sided bonding tape etc yeh?...rear spoiler...easy...front bib...not so easy. Its not a straight fit. It needs cutting before spraying and fitting.
Ok so lets say I get the ZR bib from moto build thats made exactly for the 200's from bumper, how hard will it be for me to fit all the kit? will I need to drill holes in my car? :err:

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
No idea about the moto build one.
Id guess its bonded on mainly? they must give instructions or something if you do buy that....do let us know the quality and how it fits etc, i dont know anyone who has had one from their yet.

Side skirts screw into exisiting arch liner holes..
Rear bumper uses all exisiting ones...except 1 behind each rear light...drill 2 small holes. Dont even need to if you dont fancy it....its well hidden..you have to remove rear lights...so you wont notice anyway:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts