MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you will know, yesterday I had my lightning trip to Disneyland Paris and back. We had a fantastic day and really enjoyed ourselves, until we were taken out by a Drunk Driver as we reached the Eurotunnel turn off.

We had just turned off the A16 Motorway and headed along the Eurotunnel One-Way Dual Carriageway Turn Off, and suddenly from around the corner, a French guy in a Renault Megane ploughed head on in to us.

My immediate though was that I had forgotten which side of the road I should have been driving on, but was then reminded that it was a one-way dual carriageway.

The French guy stayed in his car whilst the Police, Ambulance etc were called. Latterly it all became apparent why. When the Police turned up, the realised had been drinking and when they got him out of the car, he wasn't able to stand up.

Sadly the damage to my car is looking pretty serious. The front wheel has been pushed back so far that it is against the front wing. It is looking pretty certain to me, that it is a write off.

Myself and my sister were taken to hospital. My sister is 7 months pregnant so they were worried about the baby. I too was taken as I suffering from pains in the chest, which I assume will be from the seatbelt. Luckily the other 3 passengers don't have a scrape on them.

I still very shocked about it all. There was absolutely nothing that I could do about it. Those that know the Eurotunnel turn off will know that it is all curves, so I wasn't able to see the Black Renault Megane until it was directly in front of me. Coupled with it being 11.15pm at night, I didn't stand a chance.

Eurotunnel were absolutely fantastic. They picked myself and my sister up from the hospital and arranged for the car to be put on a trailer and repatriated back to the UK. My mate was driving also in his ZR, and his booking was changed. They also provided drinks and food, free of charge on both sides of the channel. Where else would you receive that kind of treatment - especially for a £44 ticket.

Here are a few pics. I do have pics of the Megane and ZT in situ, but not sure that it would be a good idea to post these, pending the insurance claim.

I do have pics of the car on the low-loader and on my driveway, after we arrived back in the UK almost 7 hours after the crash.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Ian,

What can I say mate :(

Thank goodness you and your sister are both OK. Take it easy today-you must be quite shaken up-I know I would be.

Your car did the job of protecting it's occupants, which must be the best thing to come out of this but it has to be so sad to lose the ZT........

Take care

Regards

Mike :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gutted to hear that mate. I know how awful it feels to lose a good car due to the negligence of other idiots. The main thing is that you and the family are safe. Who knows, you may be able to get a good settlement and get an even better ZT than the one that's been damaged.

Sounds like Eurotunnel did a good job of taking care of you as well.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Gald you are OK.

Was the French man coming down the Eurotunnel 'In' ramp then, the one with all the lights???

If so, he must have been absolutley smashed out of his nut because you can only come back down that by turning round once you have got to the ticket booths.

Thats so bad. You can see why the French are cracking down on motorists, they have far too much of this going on over there.

I feel for you Ian. I hope everything turns out ok. I hope the MG can be saved, although, they never quite feel the same.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ian,
that is awful news and you'll be shaken up for a few days but the main thing is that you all appear to be OK.

We can only hope the French police throw the book at the drunken moron who hit you.

For the next few days you'll be thinking "if I had just set off later or gone faster/slower or managed to avoid him etc..." which is only natural but it clearly wasn't your fault and you've done well to look after your family and minimise the impact.

Hats off to Eurotunnel for taking such good care of you and thank whatever you beleive in you were in your ZT - it still has one of the strongest body shells on the road today AFAIK and the consequences in a lesser car are unthinkable.

Hope you all get over it OK and the ZT is repairable

good luck mate

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ian - at least you are all OK - if shaken - the car did its job, lets hope it is repairable - but above you are safe and that's what counts.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As sad as the car is, whats important is that you and your family are all ok.

On a slightly better note, and only going from the images I can see, the front wheel is only in that position because the lower subframe has been ripped out. This car in my professional opinion (and from the pics) is not a write off.

You'll find that the wheel is no longer attached to the lower wishbone and is quite a common sight amongst cars that have taken a hit head side on (if that makes sense)

Did your airbag go off!?

Let me know if I can help in anyway

Mark

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your kind messages, I really appreciate it. That is one of the nicest things about this site, there are so many fantastic people on here.

I am very very lucky that I was driving a 75. Considering the speed of the impact, there is very little damage, apart from mechanical deformation. The bumper, despite taking the brunt, hasn't even cracked or split! The airbags didn't go off either, so the damage must have been absorbed within the crumple zones.

I really hope that the car can be repaired.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Good to hear everone was okay if not a little shaken. Good advert for the Eurotunnel guys and the car's structural integrity. Keep us posted on the car.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
holey crap! how shocked am i!

i thought you meant little! im sorry to see this but at least you were not too badly hurt....

should of looked at the thread before replying to your pm - sorry!

just to add, when someone took my tf out (and boy did they take it out) it was fine once it had been repaired, the subframe was bent and everything, it felt like new after tho

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Cars can be repaired or rebought, people can't.

Really sorry to hear about that and you must be in shock.

The 75/ZT are bloody strong old busses, had you been in an older generation car such as a 600, Mk1 Mondeo, etc, the damage could have been far more serious.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
:***:

im glad nobody was seriously injured, is everyone ok now?

from the look of the damage it'll be repaired, looks like you managed to swerve out of the way enough to make a difference, had that been full head on it could have been much worse.

hope your insurance sorts you out

andy

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Only just seen this Ian. Like said before, a car is after all just a car, but yours did the job of protecting you all thankfully. I'm just releived that no-one was injured, and hope it isn't too serious for the ZT.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup indeed - it is just a car. Thanks for the comments guys.

The ironic thing was that I had actually sold the car and was going to change it. Not really sure what will happen now. I've put off telling the guy what has happened - will ring him this afternoon.

Everyone is fine - my sister is at the hospital now just making sure that everything has settled down ok with the baby. I just ache and I feel pretty numb.

I am lucky that I was driving the ZT, and in a way lucky that I was the lead car. Had my mate been first and hit by the Megane in his MG ZR, then the results could well have been altogether different.

Everything is always dramatic in the aftermath, and looking at the car, it may well be worse than it seems. I'm really hoping that they choose to repair it - I may even get some unscraped Alloys out of it :)

As a side issue - I was impressed with the fuel consumption to and from Disney - we had covered 500 miles at mostly 85mph - 90mph and the car still returned 44.74mpg. How impressive is that.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts