MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone seen one of these before and do you reckon it will be nice and sturdy? its from victoria:cloud9: at the MGF centre

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,041 Posts
Can’t recommend it, the windstop in its self is OK but forces too much air down the back of the seats. But the base is horrible/shoddy with nasty sharp edges; also because of the location of the clamps stop the hood cover from fitting properly. All in all a bad buy I would give it 5 out of 10.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Same question, different day! :rolleyes:

Same answer as before.

It's also exactly the same as the BAS jobbie which I have.
Never had any issues with the fixing kit, looks good when fitted but does give a slight reflection when driving topless at night.

I'd give it 8/10. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got the B&G Mesh windstop and I recommend it :)

Off topic, is it really safe to leave the top down in the car park? There is one MG TF who got the top down and had plenty of confidence to leave it as it is! Probably would follow suit since this university got a decent couple of security guys... *gulps*

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
depends where u leave it. in the middle of a rough housing estate? then no.

sometimes i leave mine at a local supermarket and dont bother to lift the hood.i haev a clifford alarm so feel very confident of its abilities. the only thing that it cant stop is someone dropping rubbish inside teh car or a passing bird overhead crapping in the car whilst u arre away.
plus it only takes a few seconds to raise the hood again anyway. so for peace of mind, i normally always secure hood again.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
mgf
654 Posts
just my thoughts on the bas/MGF windstop...

I found a couple of issues with mine when I got it.

As I also have the glass hood I found on the lowering it.. the top of the glass roof fouled the metal bar that holds the windstop onto the T-BAr.. so I had to do a little alterations..

secondly - it does have a problem with rattling.. this is because of how it fixes in the middle...

basically.. at either end it has two screws which just tighten straight against the perspex to secure..

I just marked where they were going to and drilled through, so I now actually tighten through the perspex, not just up to it.. this steadies each end quite a lot...

however as it justs sits in place in the middle. it sometimes would wobble and then rattle agains the metal circular plate that it rests against in the middle.

I found that the padding was pretty badly placed here so I replaced mine with a better fitting thicker foam padding and it's working a dream.

James

·
Registered
284 Posts
Deano: Pretty much what I was thinking actually. I have to test out the alarm in my car actually. Wasn't it mentioned before on this forum how to test the alarm?

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you have a good cabrio alarm you open your hood, turn on the alarm and wait about 30sec and then put your hand inside the car, the alarm should go off at the moment.

sometimes i leave my hood open, but it dependes how far i will be from the car, and the area, even having a good alarm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh bummer I was already for ordering it but now I am not sure
where could i get a mesh one and is there any sub £100? i liked the shape of the mgf centre one thought it was a bit different

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
jimbob366 said:
Oh bummer I was already for ordering it but now I am not sure
where could i get a mesh one and is there any sub £100? i liked the shape of the mgf centre one thought it was a bit different
you'll get one off ebay probably, but prices tend to increase this time of year ;)

·
Registered
mg_tf
20 Posts
B&G Windstop - how is it fitted?

Togusa said:
I got the B&G Mesh windstop and I recommend it :)
As it happens I too am after a windstop. Looking through a number of threads here, the weight of opinion seems to indicate that mesh ones are more efficient than glass ones, and help with unwanted glare, and don't give the unwanted reflections that glass sometimes can. The B&G ones get some positive comments too, so I'm about settled on one of those. Can someone tell me how they are fitted, as the website doesn't show this but merely says "no drilling required".

·
Registered
cityrover
1,603 Posts
Just a quick note on those peeps leaving the roof down in car parks.

You insurance is null and void if there is a theft, either from the car or the car itself.

I personally leave it down. If something terrible does happen, I most definately did put the hood up :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts