MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 25 is losing water and i cant find any leaks at all. Yesterday it gradually lost power and the engine was red hot, couldnt start it and the water was dry again. The garage have told me that it could be the head gasket and its gonna cost about 500 quid. When it runs out of water and i fill it up it is bubbling and gurgling. I also have the engine fan come on when it is getting quite low. ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
well for a start off, when you refill the water you MUST unscrew the bleed screw! otherwise the air in the system will stop your new water going in due to the preasure. this would give you a false reading on the water level. possible causeing the engine to overheat due to lack of water.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
i knew you were going to ask that. to the right of the engine block, theres a metal pipe which runs around to the back of the engine. located on the top of it, about 20cm from where it connects to the rubber hose is the screw. unscrew it, fill up with water untill you see it coming out of the hole. then refit the screw.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After the car has been left standing for a few hours (overnight maybe), have a really good look underneath for any water drips. It might be the water pump seal that's leaking, which causes coolant loss and then overheating. This will show up as a small puddle beneath the cambelt cover.

Take the oil filler cap off and have a look for "mayonnaise" on the underside of it.

Basically, keep a really close eye on the coolant level. If the coolant header tank is bone dry, fill it up (when the engine's cold, or else you might crack it!) slowly to avoid introducing airlocks. Squeeze the rubber hoses in a milking action, to get rid of any air in those hoses.

If the water level's going down over time, then its either dripping out of the engine (cracked hose or leaking seal somewhere, which will show up in a pressure test by a garage), or its leaking into the oil or cylinders (HGF)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would definatly have a second opinion about the head gasket as your problem sounds the same as mine and it was the head gasket.
my mg zr started by losing water and cutting out every now and then, Then it totally went on me- engine was red hot no water oil was very low also.
I have now had to have a new head gasket which i've been told is very common problem with these cars!
might be worth checking this - does your heaters in car still blow hot air? also does temperture gauge in car always read normal even when you notice water is low? With mine only got cold air but temperture always read ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts