MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im sorry about the amount of threads iv made recently but i like to keep my car mechanically sound.basically iv just started to get a misfire on first start up from cold again which it did when the head went the first time iv looked at the plugs and found that one was damp with an unknown substance but no 4 cylinder plug had lots of oil on the plug thread i dont know what to assume but its not kicking out loads of smoke like it did before either so i dont want to do another head gasket change as it was only done 2000 miles ago.Also there is a tiny amount of mayo on the cap but i have been doing really short journeys to work so i dont think thats linked,please bare in mind this is the sohc honda unit so shouldnt really be prone to going but i dont really drive the car steady either,the temperature seems to stay perfectly normal and the heaters hot any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
738 Posts
not sure about mayo, sometimes u get that just from condensation build up. you could go get a sniffer test performed at a garage for peace of mind! doesn't take long.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah cool i shall do just that but last time about an hour before my head gasket went properly i did a compression check and all cylinders where perfect over 180 each.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there just done a compression check on the car and its fine yet again around 180 psi. I really have no idea why but 3 of the cylinders had some kind of dampness on them i thought id be able to just do a visual on them with the torch down the plug holes so i did and thats what i saw but i doubt it was fuel because the engine was hot, and another strange thing was that everytime i turned the engine over to do the check my coolant in the bottle got quite high up but not to the lid im really confused now and really dont know what to do.Do i
A.redo head gasket
B.scrap the car and take my expensive bits back off
c.just drive it til it gives up.
the thing is that it needs a new clutch now as well but iv already bought that ready to fit so im just cheesed off with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
take the plugs out first thing in the morning before starting it, see if theres water in the bores. doesnt sound right cracking to me to be honest i'm afraid mate. did you have the head skimmed when you did it originally??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi mate yeah i had the head skimmed its only been fixed three months.its funny because this morning i started it and it didnt misfire at all and i drove it about 15 miles before turning it off last night.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Oil in one of the plug wells probably isn't a problem (unless there is loads of it).

If your car is mis-firing, I'd look at the electrics first (leads, plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm).
Then coolant temp sensor
Then crank position sensor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah there is only oil on the threads for some reason and and iv changed the plugs again today so i can get a better look at how its running but iv checked the dizzy cay rotor arm and iv got new leads anyway,surely if it was a sensor doing it it would flash up on the ecu led?also the misfire is only apparent for a couple of seconds on first startup or sometimes when its left to cool down for a while as well.I checked the cylinders this morning and there was nothing damp looking down them at all like i described before but i did take it for a good drive before turning it off for the night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a persistant single cylinder miss for a few seconds on a cold start is a sign of head gasket probems.. as the engine cools down (contracts) a few drops of coolent leak into the cylinder overnight.. when its spun over this get onto the plug tip then shorts the plug out.. a few revs clears it and it runs okay..

when the engine warms up everything expands and the slight leak stops.. till it all cools down again then the misfire happens for those first few seconds..

not something u wanna hear having just done the gasket but its par for the course when the gaskt aint sealing properly.. u will get no compression loss or other symptoms at first.. but if left things are likley to get worse..

trog

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah well i can only hope things get better or i want it to get worse quickly because i wanna know if it is or not the head.I had a quick check of the new plugs today and they seem to be fine so far so im crossing everything that it was just the oil on that one plug causing this thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheap head gasket or my driving?

Hi all basically iv just been thinking about the quality of the gasket that i fitted on it the whole gasket set was only 35 quid which makes me think it could be crap.Also is there a uprated head gasket for the honda engined rovers?im betting my driving hasnt done it the best either i drive it like its a rally car lol.i drove it for about 30 miles last night and doesnt seem to have lost much water if any at all.I also think the k-seal in it didnt help as that made it do some strange stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts