MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please can someone put me out of my misery.have asked this before but never seem to get an answer????ive just fitted 17 inch alloys to my 45 and now ive got a noisey bearing that was not noticed before.would the extra offset be the culprit?any idea how much they are for both sides on the front?many thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
you may have more replies if you put what problem you have in the title of the thread instead of just putting"is anyone out there"

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
By having more overhang ...you got more leverage acting on the bearings .....so what you have is the wider rims showing up the problem ..before it would have been noticed on the narrow rims.

Nope, I don't know how much they cost ....perhaps £12 a side from a non rover source.

all the best....mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
muppet said:
you may have more replies if you put what problem you have in the title of the thread instead of just putting"is anyone out there"
point taken!!!!!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Should have bought wheels with the correct offset. Incorrect offset will put a canterlevered stress onto the bearing and stub axle assembly causing premature failure in any bearing.

Also the steering geometry goes to pot, tramlining etc.

Not sure on costs, depends on the type of bearing fitted and quality replacements.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,908 Posts
It may not be the bearings.

When fitting 'BIG' alloys to any car, particularly if a wider offset is involved, ALWAYS check the clearance between TYRES and nearby body or other car structures. Any very close clearances (sometimes nearly touching ) can and do TOUCH when under even otherwise normal driving stresses such as simple cornering or 'spirited' driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts