MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having not seen any on the roads recently I have to ask. What is the point in buying a brand new Rover 25? Especially when MG now cover with the ZR and Rover stopped making the 25GTi + 1.8.

What is the point? Why not just buy an ZR insted. Much nicer...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
Having not seen any on the roads recently I have to ask. What is the point in buying a brand new Rover 25? Especially when MG now cover with the ZR and Rover stopped making the 25GTi + 1.8.

What is the point? Why not just buy an ZR insted. Much nicer...
For people who dont want an overtly sporting car??

To my mind, the 25 is a nice car, and has always had an appealing shape. Now it has a great interior too. They should make climate control availbale if they havent already tho.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
i prefer the 25 over the ZR. don't get me wrong i love the way the ZR looks but the ride is far too firm for my liking.

the 25 will appeal to people that don't want a car that stands out from the crowd. the ZR is aimed at younger buyers especially people who would've bought a saxo vtr.

two very different markets. the 200/25 just didn't appeal to younger buyers so the ZR was introduced. good thing it was really otherwise mg-rovers sales would be very poor.

although i still believe there would be a market for a sporty 25......maybe a Vi or vitesse. i would look at a rover 25 with the 1.8vvc engine next time if there was one.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But why did they stop making the 1.8 and GTi? I think they've lost some sales because of this because as Lucky Guy said, no one really wants an overtly sporting car, but some may want a power unit with some boot. I think thats why sales of the 25 are down and ZR's are on the up, if it came to it I'd have the Vi anyday...

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
parsec said:
I have to agree, 04MY 25's are rare!
Rita Fairclough has one on Coronation Street.

Someone in the same village has one as well - that's two!

And to be honest having one as courtesy car the other day I found it a great car and the ride is much smoother than the ZR - You could go over a speed hump in it at more than 2mph which we can't do in our ZR

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
125 Posts
I just love those Sniff Petrol MG Rover adds. I think MG Rover group ought to run them in newspaper ads!

ProMGR :xmas:

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Is the Rover 25 obsolete now?

Well, to be fair, a good run for a product without a major reworking I would say is about 10 years.

Although the 25/200/ZR has an interior which was not the most modern in the world, the car itself is good for its time. However, it is coming up on 10 years now so yeah, I think its time to call it a day sooner or later.

Rover need to follow up the 45 replacement with a 25 replacement ASAP. The 75 is not in urgent need of a replacement yet, but that should be the next thing on the list once the 45 and 25 are replaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
in my area, birmingham admittedly, the new mg zr and rover 25 are probably the most common new 54 reg car on the road. i see around 7-8 a day. aaah if only this was national

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I'll take back what I said. I saw a 54 reg 25 3 door today so there are a couple around. But the range seems a little deprived nowadays...

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
xpower_boy said:
the 25 is for people who want class and sophisticasion. ave i spelled that ritethe zr is for people who want sportiness
No! and thats the least of the problems.....you got a lot of the rest of the sentence wrong as well!

:)

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I've actually seen more Rover 25's than MG ZR's in my neck of the woods. Most of the 25's I've seen, seem to have been in Pearl Black.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, I've decided to retire my 25 from this point onwards. I'm going to buy something French, or German, or Italian, or Indian, or Chinese, or Malaysian or Polynesian. Crap, how am I going to get to work on Monday?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bugger me we've been invaded!

Just been round the Brierly hill area only to be swamped by MGRover to MGRover. Most of them were new Streetwises and ZS's but I managed to cop sight of two, thats right, two Cityrovers, 4 ZS's, 2 new ZR's, 3 new 25's, a new 45, 3 new ZT's and 1 ZT-T going up the M6. In fact I think this area account for amost, if not all of the MGR's sales as of late...

I have to agree, the new 25 is a nice car, but I would still go for the ZR...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Since getting my ZS on Tuesday I've yet to see another like it on the road! Apart from one near my girlfriends house which sits on a driveway.

But the rarity is great, my car is really getting some looks!

On the plus side for sales, today while around Chorley and Horwich I've seen loads of 04MY R45's - at least 4 or 5!!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
parsec said:
Since getting my ZS on Tuesday I've yet to see another like it on the road! Apart from one near my girlfriends house which sits on a driveway.

But the rarity is great, my car is really getting some looks!

On the plus side for sales, today while around Chorley and Horwich I've seen loads of 04MY R45's - at least 4 or 5!!
well drive by darwen will u m8 cos i still ain't seen a new ZS :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts