MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i am very worried as to whether or not my car is actually an sdi, is there any way i can tell, i looked under the bonnet and i can only see one radiator at the front??? where is the inter cooler?? the reason i think its an sdi is cause when i went for my insurance quote the car reg comes up and a 220sdi. there is no abs light when i turn the ignition on. I feel a bit gutted now i thought it was an sdi? Is it one i aint sure?

cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
an sdi will have an intercooler on the right hand side of the radiator as you look at it,and if it had abs,it would have an abs pump/module on the passenger side inner wing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As you look from standing in front of the car, if it's an SDi, you'll see a silver intercooler to the right of the radiator, with a large pipe coming from the top and disappearing underneath the acoustic cover.

SDi is very unlikely to have ABS, so probably no worries there. Look at your rear brakes, if they are drums, then no ABS, if you have discs, then you probably have an unusual car with ABS. :)

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Thats is the adapted version of friggers SD, converted to a SDi.

The point being, has the OP got a second thick black pipe going to what look likes another radiator.

The pipe in question, is the right hand of the 2 thick black pipes at the front. If there is no second pipe, then unfortunately it is not a SDi.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
84 Posts
"SDi is very unlikely to have ABS, so probably no worries there. Look at your rear brakes, if they are drums, then no ABS, if you have discs, then you probably have an unusual car with ABS". :)

my wifes 25 has abs,but no rear disc,the 200 she had before was an sd the one without an intercooler,and i always thought that an sdi was the engine fitted with an intercooler.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Di's always had an intercooler "i"=Intercooler
If there isn't an intercooler it isn't a Di.
Nah, the 'i' actually refers to the uprated injection system that the SDis have and not the intercooler. The old Monty's had an "MDi" engine (Multi-point direct injection) as decribed in the 1991 brochure - and they certainly had no intercooler - and of course its essentially the same engine thats in the SDs.

Saying that having an intercooler means its an SDi can be misleading as the pictured one above has been adapted to have one - yet the throttle cable can be seen crossing the alternator and dissapearing under the engine cover to connect to the mechanical fuel pump. The SDis don't have this per-se, connecting to a canister (potentiometer) on the rhs wing half-way along (as you look from the front-in). If you take the engine cover off, to the left (front) of the engine you'll see the fuel pump with thin pipes leading off it - its hard to miss. If it has and electrical multi-plug, its an SDi, if there's a throttle cable, then its a SD.

·
Registered
556 Posts
my wifes 25 has abs,but no rear disc.
So it wasn't a 200, was it? ;)

Not entirely relevant to the topic, which was asking about a 220, which if ABS is fitted, has rear discs. :)

(Of course, the whacking great ABS modulation unit stuffed in the engine bay is another good telltale sign! :lol:)

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Nah, the 'i' actually refers to the uprated injection system that the SDis have and not the intercooler. The old Monty's had an "MDi" engine (Multi-point direct injection) as decribed in the 1991 brochure - and they certainly had no intercooler - and of course its essentially the same engine thats in the SDs.

Saying that having an intercooler means its an SDi can be misleading as the pictured one above has been adapted to have one - yet the throttle cable can be seen crossing the alternator and dissapearing under the engine cover to connect to the mechanical fuel pump. The SDis don't have this per-se, connecting to a canister (potentiometer) on the rhs wing half-way along (as you look from the front-in). If you take the engine cover off, to the left (front) of the engine you'll see the fuel pump with thin pipes leading off it - its hard to miss. If it has and electrical multi-plug, its an SDi, if there's a throttle cable, then its a SD.
That is true I suppose but for standard cars an "i" in the name indicates an intercooler on rover diesels. I've got a tuned MDi hence I offered to tune Friggerpants's car as I'm familiar with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Second Pipe

Hi all nope theres defanitely not a second pipe to be honest theres not even one big pipe like the one pictured. but tell me this then when i enter the reg onto any insurance company how come it comes up as an SDI ???? i am really stressed out now

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi all nope theres defanitely not a second pipe to be honest theres not even one big pipe like the one pictured. but tell me this then when i enter the reg onto any insurance company how come it comes up as an SDI ???? i am really stressed out now
Let your insurance company know, may get a cheaper premium.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
u may have to change ure username now chris_220_sd, lol. yer the insurance companys dont know the difference, so tell them its a sd which is a lower bhp version, should slash the cash.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Let's be fair folks, to an untrained eye, that is what an SID engine looks like. THat#'s why I posted it up. I know it's an SD, it's mine!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts