MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

A friend of my daughter has just called, she has a Rover 25 1.4 (2000).

She asked if I would have a listen to her car as it was making a sort of WERING noise.

Sat in it, started it and as she said , it was wering. The noise sounds to me to be the thrust bearing and it goes when the pedal is depressed, also the selection is crap.

Bit embarrassing for me to admit but I do in fact build repair and test transmissions for a living.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Zuke said:
Hello everybody,

A friend of my daughter has just called, she has a Rover 25 1.4 (2000).

She asked if I would have a listen to her car as it was making a sort of WERING noise.

Sat in it, started it and as she said , it was wering. The noise sounds to me to be the thrust bearing and it goes when the pedal is depressed, also the selection is crap.

Bit embarrassing for me to admit but I do in fact build repair and test transmissions for a living.

Any ideas ?

Input shaft bearing on the box.

Common fault on R65 boxes. As long as it doesn't get any worse then there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the box it looks a not too difficult a job to remove, and as I said , I do transmission for a living.

But the gears (she says) are hard to select and they weren't before.

Anything tricky about the box inside?

·
Registered
rover_600
936 Posts
maybe she's been riding the clutch(not being sexist or anything but women tend to ride the clutch!) and this tends to knacker the release bearing

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
There's another possibility: Clutch drag. That can make gear selection difficult. Clutch drag happens when the cable or hydraulic operation gets lazy - worn seals in clutch master and/or slave or a tired cable which no longer self adjusts can be the cause, or the clutch itself faulty or simply worn. Start with and eliminate these easy options first before removing the box and clutch.

Many moons ago my MG Montego suffered from clutch slip immediately after changing gear. Sometimes it would settle and all would be well. Long story short, lack of use (car laid up unused for twenty months) made the operation of the clutch return lever on the bell housing sticky so that it took time to fully return to the off position. Until it fully returned, it was like driving round with your foot rsting on the clutch pewdal. Solved it by more regular use and by drenching the bellhousing where the lever enters it with lubricant....Sorted!

Funny old game cars and their foibles .. and owners ..;)

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
It's a piece of pis$ of a gearbox to strip, you'll be fine.

To replace the bearing in question, you don't even need to disassemble any part of the geartrain on the mainshaft, which is a bonus!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Zuke,
Either way its abox out job, just make sure you check the thrust bearing for seizing and the fingers on the clutch for excess wear which may indicate over heated diaphragm fingers which could cause spongy clutch with difficulty engaging gears. Just a thought! But either way its a box out job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that boys, you certainly know your stuff ! (unlike some of the numpteys I work with)

Think we will plump for a new clutch, full gubbinz!
Can't see me doing it, how about those "Mr. Clutch" places ?
What should the cost be Ja think?

Thanks again, if you ever have any gearbox problems with IB5's or MT82's, giza shout!
[email protected]

I have a Riley RM and a coulpe of Velocettes, case you were wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hiya lads,

just been to see "Mr Clutch" for a free diagnosis, some friggin' use that was!
"can't be sure if it's the inputshaft bearing ,,,,,or the clutch!"
Driving the car down there, the selection is proper sh*te, really difficult to get it in first, all sort of smacks of the clutch dunit.
But, would the noise go, completely, with the pedal down ?
Mr clutch quoted me £150 all in minus 10% coz I work for Getrag.
They use re-con parts but give a 3 year waranty, not too bad.
Anybody got a diagram of the box ? If it's a slice of urine it might be as well changing the bearing while it's out.
Thanks in Advance,
good site this init!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
319 Posts
Hi obviously as already stated the 1st motion shaft bearing (Input shaft) is noisy, the difficult selection is likely to be the diff planet gear thrust washers broken up and the debris is lodged in the selector mechanism (also common problem).

Cheers Gary :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts