MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there!

Well I recieved and fitted the MAFAM from RoverRon today - amazingly fast delivery I might add! After trying out the various settings I have managed to find just about the right one...

I took my 75 out for a test spin having done the previous tests and having got the engine up to temperature. I went to "Inskip Straight" a very secluded 2 mile straight and wide country road (used to be a Fleet Air Arm runway) and decided to test the 0-60 of my car. I was shocked to find that on all three occasions I counted a 0-60 speed of between 7 and 8 seconds from standing.

This seems amazingly quick for what was a 2.0 CDT 116 diesel.... Is it possible or am I seeing things? I have a K&N air filter, PSI Powerbox Digital Tuning Box, modified air intake (from Ron's suggestions) and also one of RoverRons newly added MAFAMS.

Pete

PS Those of you who have met me know I am not a boy racer - I love the 75 and would not have bought the car for that purpose. However, I just fancied trying the 0-60 out with Ron's new box attached.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
AFAIK the CDTi 135 (in this case) can sprint to 60 in around 10 seconds. A new time with the mods you've described could easily see the car in the early to late 8s. I think 7secs is a tad optimistic, but still possible.

Keep peeled for more mods that Rons doing including boost increase.

I'm investigating a FMIC at the moment which whilst it wont massively increase performance, it will aid in reliability and longevity of the turbo unit.

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not get me wrong, I was not very accurately measuring the 0-60. I was just counting it off as I was keeping my eyes on the road and speedo (it was 10:30 at night and pitch black).

Even if it is 8 secs it seemed very quick.

Pete

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've tried the same thing in my 260. As you say, not exactly accurate, but good fun!!!

It is actually surprising how much difference one or two mph can make. If you look at most official manufacturers' figures, you will see about a half second difference between the 0-60mph speed and the 0-62mph (100km/h) speeds, so if you assume you got everything spot on, your speedo probably under-reads by about 4mph at 60, so you're maybe a second or so out.

The main thing is that the improvement after fitting the box was noticeable enough for you to go and try this in the first place, especially as you're not a boy racer trying everything to eak out an extra horsey or two! That's vindication in my mind :lol:

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Womble said:
The main thing is that the improvement after fitting the box was noticeable enough for you to go and try this in the first place, especially as you're not a boy racer trying everything to eak out an extra horsey or two! That's vindication in my mind :lol:
Not trying everything at all! Well - trying most things I suppose. The reason I purchased the MAFAM is because my current MAF is less than healthy. Just waiting for the Pierberg to arrive now.

Pete

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hello Peter

You are not allowed to have fun :) In an old farts car :)

Even 8 seconds in a car as big as ours is pretty quick, next time you are on your private road get Imogen to time it on a stop watch, only next time don't back off 'til you run out of road. I've only done this once in sport mode it started to run out of breath at 130, hit the SM switch at which point it changed up into 5th then slowly crept up to 140 on the clock, again I know it's not accurate, but it don't half give you a buzz.:bgrin2:

V6 Auto BTW on an airfield runway not public road.

MM

·
Registered
341 Posts
Old farts of world unite !!:eek:verkill: damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead
Im going to have to get one of Rover Rons bits of kit.

maxi-crawf

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
I think speedo inaccuracy will add about 1 sec - 60 is actually about 55, but even 8.5secs is quick for such a big car and comparanble to these new diesels:

New passat 2TDI 140 = 9.2 50-70 in top = 10.3
Saab 1.9 tdi 150 = 8.8 5-70 = 11.3
BMW 320D 163bhp = 8.1 50-70 = 9.6
Audi A5 2.5v6 150 = 8.8 50-70 = 10.7

Probably top is 6th.

The KV6 is 8.4 / 12.4

(My 75CDT 50-70 4th = 5.5 and in 5th = 7.4.)

All figures from Autocar.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I know that one of the remapping companies (mapped to about 160 BHP) did some tests with a ZT CDTi with some timing gear and they recorded 8.49 seconds for the 0-60 dash. Given that the 75 has lighter wheels i would say low eights is possible but 7's might be a tad optimistic......for now.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
pshuttle said:
Hello there!

This seems amazingly quick for what was a 2.0 CDT 116 diesel.... Is it possible or am I seeing things? I have a K&N air filter, PSI Powerbox Digital Tuning Box, modified air intake (from Ron's suggestions) and also one of RoverRons newly added MAFAMS.

I have a PSI Powerbox ..... I am a bit of an engineering thicko, though, - I thought that Ron's box was a similar thing! (bought the Powerbox before I got into this forum)
What else can I add to improve the performance, then?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts