MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, below is a pic of the inside of my door if you didnt already guess that ;) i want to know if i was to get for example the below front components would i be able to have them in front of the cover which is Number 1 ? i assume this cover comes off so would it be possible to fit the components so that you can see them and they are not behind the cover ?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/images/shop/large/infinity/b_kappa657.jpg

2 - Where can i get some nice silver / chrome window wipers ?
3 - same as above, where can i get something nice other then the black thing
4 - ewww horrible stuff, is there a way to take this off and re cover it with something abit more appealing
5 - is it possible to get some new door things or even a new appealing plastic surround ?
6 - when fitting front tweeters, can i like the speakers have them on show or would they have to be behind on this one ?

cheeeers

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
1. You can remove the cover but:
a) it leaves a big empty gap between the speaker and the door. The actual speaker sits about 2-3" behind that grille...would look ugly.
The alternative would be to mount the speakers physically onto the door card itseld, but
i) you'd need something to make the fitting of the speakers wider, as they would be too small to mount direct
ii) it's not at all secure, and places extra stress on the door card. Expect damage
iii) a terrible sound seal on the door. You'd probably lose sound quality
iv) even *easier* to steal. Just rip them out of the door card.

b) it leaves your nice expensive speakers on view, which means all the thieves in the area know what they're breaking your windows for.

2. Just have a look on ebay/local cheapy motoring stores. Warning. They're really tacky and "bling bling" and basically look pants. I don't know why you want to do this. btw, I assume you mean "winders" and not "wipers"

3. As above, but it's not the sorta thing you can find easily. Probably not.

4. Yes, very nasty flowery crap. You can retrim that part with different fabric if you wish. Some people on here have done it.

5. Whats wrong with your current ones? You seem to be into bling - is chrome not bling enough?
Surrounds would be entirely custom. You'd need to DIY.

6. Yeah you could probably mount the tweeters so they're visible, and it wouldn't look as rubbishy as having the speaker grille removed, but again you're opening yourself up to theiving eejits. Also it's a silver grille on the infinities, which wouldn't look quite right in the doors. If you're that bothered, I'd mount the tweeters behind and spray the grille in the door silver.

Generally I wouldn't recommend having your speakers in view though. It's basically actually inviting theives to come and have a look.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dazultra2000 said:
1. You can remove the cover but:
a) it leaves a big empty gap between the speaker and the door. The actual speaker sits about 2-3" behind that grille...would look ugly.
The alternative would be to mount the speakers physically onto the door card itseld, but
i) you'd need something to make the fitting of the speakers wider, as they would be too small to mount direct
ii) it's not at all secure, and places extra stress on the door card. Expect damage
iii) a terrible sound seal on the door. You'd probably lose sound quality
iv) even *easier* to steal. Just rip them out of the door card.

b) it leaves your nice expensive speakers on view, which means all the thieves in the area know what they're breaking your windows for.

2. Just have a look on ebay/local cheapy motoring stores. Warning. They're really tacky and "bling bling" and basically look pants. I don't know why you want to do this. btw, I assume you mean "winders" and not "wipers"

3. As above, but it's not the sorta thing you can find easily. Probably not.

4. Yes, very nasty flowery crap. You can retrim that part with different fabric if you wish. Some people on here have done it.

5. Whats wrong with your current ones? You seem to be into bling - is chrome not bling enough?
Surrounds would be entirely custom. You'd need to DIY.

6. Yeah you could probably mount the tweeters so they're visible, and it wouldn't look as rubbishy as having the speaker grille removed, but again you're opening yourself up to theiving eejits. Also it's a silver grille on the infinities, which wouldn't look quite right in the doors. If you're that bothered, I'd mount the tweeters behind and spray the grille in the door silver.

Generally I wouldn't recommend having your speakers in view though. It's basically actually inviting theives to come and have a look.
i see ur point about having the things on show and that and i tend to agree, just seen a few cars on here with them not behind the covers and it looked very nice, thieves wouldnt be able to see them that well as my windows are getting done friday but yea its still a good point.

Flower Power LOL, whats the best type of stuff to cover these over or what have most people done on here..... seats are kinda tacky too but ill have to live with them for now, just the door things i want to change at the minute, do they just pull away ??

1 more thing i forget to ask about, the wooden dash and wooden surround around heaters ? any thing i can get to cover this or replace them with something else, dont quite like the wooden effect

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I think the general material used would be some sort of grey or black velour or something similar.
Basically you can use whatever you like.

I don't know how to take that insert bit out. Best best is to take the door card off and see how it's attached.

As for the wood surround, there's a few things you can do.

1) Trim them in fabric like you use for your doors

2) Spray them to a different colour

3) You can get stick-on material that typically comes in carbon-effect patterns or something similar. That sorta stuff you can find in hellfrauds I'm guessing.

Having the speakers on show (depending on the speakers, of course) can look pretty spanky, but it really is a thief magnet, and tbh I'm never gonna be looking at them while I'm driving anyway, so it's not really very important.
I'd rather have them then show them off and have them nicked.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
1. As stated, id fit the speaker behind the grille. Its just better!

2. Think you can get new winders. Check places like Best of British, or maybe even Mike Satur (He might do them for the ZR).

3. All the black plastic bits can be easily sprayed silver, or covered in some carbon fibre/coloured film. You can get it from Halfords, or any car modification shop.

4. Apparently these just clip off from the back of the door card. You can then cover it. Use contact adhesive (like EVOStick).

5. Whats up with these ones!? Proper metal!!!

6. Ive seen someone do it on here where they cut the grill out with a craft scalpel, then mounted the tweeters. Looked good. Dont know how easy it is to fix the tweeter in then you've done this though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Yeah, that sort of film.

What wooden stuff though??? Do you mean the fabric door insert???

There is a thread about this somewhere. I think you just get somthing flat and prize it off. Something like a steel rule, or a filling knife etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the wooden stuff i mean, in my 200

ive got some wooden stuff around the 3 heater controls above the radio and ive got like a strip of wood on the passenger side just below the windscreen

·
Registered
rover_25
594 Posts
I re-did my wooden heater surrounds and wood dash insert, well re-did most of the interior.

You can buy them already coated in differnt colours from fleebay..

Is that what you're on about?In the pics?

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikec2005 said:
I re-did my wooden heater surrounds and wood dash insert, well re-did most of the interior.

You can buy them already coated in differnt colours from fleebay..

Is that what you're on about?In the pics?
aiiiiiii :p

something like that indeed, where did u get all that stuff from and was it easy enough to do?

·
Registered
rover_25
594 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikec2005 said:
i got it all from ebay, theres loads of stuff on there:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-200-25-SILVER-INTERIOR-SET-MG-ECT_W0QQitemZ4635814789QQcategoryZ10414QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-200-25-silver-Interior-vents-MGZR-dash_W0QQitemZ4637270257QQcategoryZ10414QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres stuff being added all the time. I did a thread on this and how to go about changing things:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=119846

but if you've got anymore questions then feel free..

Mike
cheers mate, alot of work involved changing all that stuff then ? going by what i cant do i prob would have trouble doing that lol, cant even take my door card off without breaking things and not understanding why its not moving :lol:

·
Registered
rover_25
594 Posts
Nah i was like that aswell though! But then i thought the only way im going to learn is to get stuck in, and so what if i break something, i can get another one and ive learnt how not to do it! It is alot simpler than it looks.

You could just change the pop-out things, like the vents, dash insert, small side vents, instrument cover..?? But it did take me a while to get the heater controls done, its a bit fiddly, but worth the hassle, about 2-3 hours in all.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
IMO I think having speaker grills on show is a bit chavvy. Much better having the speakers blend with the door as the OE covers are already quite nice.
I fitted both my components behind the OE speaker grills.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
The ZR silver trim is a direct replacement and the Carbon Fibre R25 GTi stuff is even nicer, but harder to come by.

They are easy to replace, the dash strip just pulls off and pushes on, and the heater surround just needs the consol removed, which is a few screws and clips.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mike200SEi said:
ref to tweeter mounting

6. Ive seen someone do it on here where they cut the grill out with a craft scalpel, then mounted the tweeters. Looked good. Dont know how easy it is to fix the tweeter in then you've done this though.

i got a big drill bit and drilled out the grill.
the tweeters came with a multi piece (very confusing) mounting system the main bit of which im in the process of moulding into the surround using bodyfiller - then im gonna paint it.

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/showphoto.php/photo/12146/cat/500/ppuser/16754

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right, just took the door card off and also managed to get the flower power crap thing off :) went up to halfords to see if they had any carbon fibre stuff, they did £25.99 :lol: i looked it at, put it up agaisnt the flower stuff and it looked so much better, proceeded with buying and asked before hand if this stuff was suitable for what im going to use it for, he said NO !!!! so i put it back and come back home not very happy, can i not use that stuff then ? will i have to use plain old fabric ?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Yeah, you'll have to use fabric.

Some plain black Alcantara or Swade looks nice. Stick it on with Evostick Contact Adhesive.

The carbon film is only for the plastic bits.

If you do use the film on the plastic bits, make sure to use a hair drier and heat it up so that its really flexible and pliable before you stick it on. Its easier to work with if its hot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike200SEi said:
Yeah, you'll have to use fabric.

Some plain black Alcantara or Swade looks nice. Stick it on with Evostick Contact Adhesive.

The carbon film is only for the plastic bits.

If you do use the film on the plastic bits, make sure to use a hair drier and heat it up so that its really flexible and pliable before you stick it on. Its easier to work with if its hot.
aint sticking the carbon fibre stuff on plastic bits although it looked nice when i was looking at it today, will probably go for the silver set which someone above posted as that looks sweet !! i take it i can get the black or swade alcantra from a fabric shop ? what about evostick adhesive ? ebay ?

cheers

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
B&Q for the glue and a fabric shop for the material yeah.

make sure you use the Evostick outside. Your house will stink for days and you may end up flying!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts