MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to be honnest i am getting a little downhearted again about this damned car!!

I am seriously thinking about chopping it in and getting a new one, its a 99 reg 216, done 45k

and it has some funny problems, firstly starting is becomming a bit hit or miss, it just keeps chugging over untill it eventually catches, yesterday i had just one spell of complete and utter power loss, its just had a new gearbox and clutch (which took ages to sort out) and i am sure that there are a few other dodgy bits here and there (namly a bit of rust by the boot hinge that will have to be cut out and filled with weld! and a rusty door)

Any ideas on the starting probs and the power loss?? and is it worth keping or selling? It is going into the bodyshop anyway to get some insurance work done, so the minor bodywork stuff will get done

anyone want to make me an offer????

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Hi Jon

Your best posting this in 'Ask the Gurus', the haunt of the site's mechanical and electrical experts. I'm sure you'll get a response there.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem as you with the starting, although its not Hit or miss, its more of a couple of times a week it'll act like a old banger for no reason at all, & you'll have to put your foot on the accelerator to start it. I've personally changed nigh everything on the car I can think of so *blows* I'm just accepting it.

A mate of mine at work did describe a problem he had with a rover 200 , that is same sort as ours, although he said once it happened once it happened everytime it started the car, ( dodgy start up ) so I know mine isn't the same, I hope yours doesn't do it everytime, as what happened to his cost him near £800.
( he kept teasin me askin me if mine had broken yet, I think hes just jealous cuz hes got a peugeot now :p )
( dont even wanna tell you what it is , incase it gets you worried ..... ) It was something to do with the radiator being blocked , & then basically something breaking & causing a leak, & because water won't squash I think it wrecks some pistons .... *screws face * lol poor memory , ( im not a mechanic so don't even think of sayin no thats not right cuz its only what his mechanic told him & what I can vaguely remember ) I flushed my coolant system out though, & no rust out anything odd came out so I doubt its a problem.

This is only an idea rmb I don't want to cause concern or anything just possibilty , hopefully more likely its HT leads or something, the odd thing with my problem was If I changed somethin, say the battery the starting problem would go away for awhile, but then returned, happened with sparks also & ht leads. Just bit odd, injectors mby ???

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be the leads, but it doesnt misfire or anything, just sudden power loss, really winding me up as i cant drive it at all for fear that it will conk out in the middle of the road!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you checked the ignition key barrell?

I had the exact same problem with my Metro a few years back and it turned out to be a dry joint...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts