MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 reg. ZTT, manufactured wk09 in 05 according to the Test Code. I have an aversion to rust and had my first Cortina GT in 1971 'Ziebarted', bodywork was like new even at 100,000 miles!
I have searched the Forum on the subject of rust and rust-proofing but it has only rarely been addressed. 1. Does this mean that Rust is not a problem? and 2. Has anyone a recommendation to Zeibart / Waxoyl treatment on this vehicle? I have every intention of keeping it for as long as possible.
Thanks, Martin

·
Registered
504 Posts
Rover 75's a MG ZT's don't as of yet suffer from rust,some are 8 years old now and are fine,but a bit of rust-proofing never does any harm.

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts
I don't want to start an argument but when I was looking for my 75 I saw a couple with signs of rust starting in the boot at the bottom of the windsreen,one was an X reg the other a W. So I am always careful to dry the area out after washing.(I keep it garaged).Can you still get them treated with the Ziebart? Like Time Searcher I have an 1981 Chevette that was done new & is still immaculate. Is waxoiling inside the doors & panels not done as standard on the 75's I thought that was what the residue that runs down the chrome valance trims was caused by.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before posting the original request for information I 'googled' and found at least one Ziebart treatment centre, it's in Edinburgh, and another firm offering a professional service to apply Waxoyl in the NE of England and Barnsley. Neither is cheap but having had one vehicle 'fall apart' on me I want the best for my new baby!
Cheers, Martin

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't kid yourselves, get underneath, the tray may be good for aerodynamics + protection but the foam and heatshiled trap water here the subframe has gone a bit more than superficially.

All of these are now undergoing treatment.

Further rust issues have been with rear door straps, clean them up and apply thin grease.

Also, the cable entry point of driver's side rear door has rusted under the rubber surround, check this too.

PS Also in process of fitting 4 S/H calipers because bleeders had rusted solid and seized.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
I remember buying a new Mini in the late 70s and having it Ziebarted. It may have done some good I don't know, but the car rusted pretty quickly at the seams, and even quicker where they'd punched holes to inject the Ziebart...
Personally I wouldn't do it as 75s are pretty well rust protected anyway and almost all panels are in coated steels.
If you do want to inject anywhere, the weakest point for corrosion is where the main longitudinals pass under the pedal box area. There are three layers of reinforcement and potential for water to collect between.

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
I have had my car up on ramps and I have no where near as much rust as that.
The only rust I have found is on the Air intake for the engine. But any other rust I have found is really only just surface rust so wont do any harm.

It’s a 2000 W reg 113k...

But end of the day nothing lasts for ever.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think mine lived near the sea/used for dinghy launching when it was a leaser.

Currently waiting for a dry day to get out the waxoyl.

Hammerited front subframe + sprayed with some rust converter.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Rust/Protection

My favorite subject. Finished up spending 2 1/2 years restoring an XJ6 when I found the favorite rusting areas.
As I have just posted, I spent last week cleaning up the suspension units then spraying generously with my Waxoyl 'wand' all the areas I could reach. Spend time and it is not difficult to treat the whole car, even inside doors etc. At the prices mentioned here it may be worth spending on a compressor and applicator gun (gun about £10 with nozzle and a wand) which is what I have. Buy Waxoyl in the 1 litre tin that fits on the gun, refill from larger tins.
You will be surprised what holes you can find to get the wand into eg remove interior light door switch,door latch, bulb hatch in front wing etc etc. for access. You will find Waxoyl also stops moisture getting into wiring connectors, looms etc. Front edge of bonnet and bottom of boot lid are also likely rust areas. Apart from the obviously visual areas I more or less treat the job as : if you can't see it wave the wand and spray it 'blind'. It works a treat for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Crofts,

How's it going? If you get a chance, have a look at Roverbreakers, there's some cracking bits and pieces there, used (hardly) rear discs for 20 pounds mate, saw them come off a hardly worn rear subframe.

Borrowing waxoyl + sprayer from my mate up the road, will cost a 4-pack!

I also hammerited the bonnet catches, the plates that bolt onto the bonnet were all rusted, they're worth a look because they can then bring rust on the inner skin of the bonnet leading edge.

Been too busy canoeing with my mates:

www.canoecolwyn.org.uk

Will get waxoyl out when there's a dry evening this next couple o weeks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am pleased that the bodywork and panels are treated during manufacture, but having had a good look at the seams I would think that it would be prudent to apply some Waxoyl to the under vehicle areas and treat the box sections. I have an Applicator Pump, last used in 1977! the leather seals are perfect and I have ordered 5 litres from the factors. All I need now are a couple of warm, dry days to get the job done. My thanks to all for the pictures and helpful comments.
Cheers, Martin Jackson

·
Registered
243 Posts
well i must be the luckiest 75 owner around...just been over the car cos you guys got me worried about rust...and ....nothing..well one bit the size of a 10p coin ...but other than that zero..phew...btw mines a 2000 cdt 90k

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was thinking of getting stuck in with the Waxoyl myself this summer (if it ever arrives) my question is this.
Other than brakes, obviously, are there any parts that should be avoided when applying, i.e. is it harmful to rubber components or electricals, or can it be sprayed everywhere ?

Steve.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roverama,
I got myself a 2.5 litre can of Waxoyl [now made by Hammerite!] today from Halfords for £13.99. The only CAUTION noted is: "Certain stressed plastic body mouldings and rubber trim may be adversley affected by application of Waxoyl. Do not allow Waxoyl to come into contact with these items. If contact does occur remove excess Waxoyl with a cloth and thoroughly wash the area with warm, soapy water." Otherwise the directions, which are extensive, virtually state spray it everywhere!!! I'll try to list their "How and Where to use it" from the can if anyone wishes to know.
Hope this helps,
Martin Jackson

·
Registered
360 Posts
Time Searcher said:
Roverama,
I got myself a 2.5 litre can of Waxoyl [now made by Hammerite!] today from Halfords for £13.99. The only CAUTION noted is: "Certain stressed plastic body mouldings and rubber trim may be adversley affected by application of Waxoyl. Do not allow Waxoyl to come into contact with these items. If contact does occur remove excess Waxoyl with a cloth and thoroughly wash the area with warm, soapy water." Otherwise the directions, which are extensive, virtually state spray it everywhere!!! I'll try to list their "How and Where to use it" from the can if anyone wishes to know.
Hope this helps,
Martin Jackson
Thanks for that TS, I'll get myself to Halfords at the weekend.
Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts