MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been using this forum for quite some time as a lurker, but ready to engage more and share some new challenges that await.

Age 25/M/London

I purchased my MGTF 115 2003, in October 2021 as my first car! Having been a big fan of cars throughout childhood.

As I had to wait an immense time before finally being ready to pass/afford my own car.

This meant it needed to be something I was passionate about loving the look off, cheap, and insurance friendly!

Luckily, an MGTF fit the bill perfectly, I originally purchased it with the intention of running it into the ground for my first year to build NCB, but have since have genuinely become enamoured by the community keeping it going and the car itself.

Like most older cars from this era, it does mean it has its fair share of issues, however, I've been able to so far complete nearly all fixes myself, learning a great deal about my TF and building my own car/mechanic skills.

Issues experienced:
  • 3x Flat Tyres
  • Catalytic Converter Stolen
  • Small crack on Front Bumper (third party) and Paint peeling (from purchase)
  • Horn non-functional from Purchase
  • Rounded wheel Nut
  • Seized right Window Motor
  • Worries occasionally about Coolant haha

Fixes and Tasks Completed

• Full Downpipe, catalytic converter and pre and post Lambda Replacement
  • Oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug service on purchase
  • Another Oil and oil filter service after 2.5k miles 1 year on with engine flush
  • Rounded wheel nut removed with 12-point socket, all-wheel nuts replaced
  • All Pecktron Relays replaced by Remobilise on eBay (Fixed Horn issue and unknown reversing lights being faulty)
  • Right window Motor and insert replaced completely
  • Amateur Front Bumper soft re-pasting, sanding and spray (with spray can)
  • Cheap Dashcam and Reversing Camera Installed (latest Modification)

I've had a great deal of help/assistance from this forum, I'd like to reciprocate that with some updated experiences, for those checking the forums in years to come and hope to share my biggest challenge yet!

for now, signing off.

- TenaciousMG

Registered
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you've really caught the bug then! Are you going to run into issues when the London charging zones expand however? I've seen many adverts quoting reasons for sale as this change for all sorts of cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you've really caught the bug then! Are you going to run into issues when the London charging zones expand however? I've seen many adverts quoting reasons for sale as this change for all sorts of cars.
Hey SpottyCat,

Good spot, I didn't include this by accident. I live within the current ULEZ zone, so this was key for me.

Despite having Euro 3 Emissions as opposed to Euro 4 for cars, a 2003 MG TF 115 is ULEZ-free somehow 馃槄

I believe this is due to the emissions for the engine being fairly clean in comparison to its output.

My preference for cars is from the 80s-2000s, it's a shame to see the way it's going. I suspect many classics will end up scrapped/lost to time.

Registered
It wouldn't surprise me that the 115 is compliant, the K series is a very under-rated engine and is very efficient. I imagine the 1.6 is very frugal. The 1.8 160 I have is excellent for fuel economy and I guess I'll see what it's like on the emissions thing next MoT. There are plenty of people who think that 'Peak Car' was the '90's and early 2000's; mainly being perceived as a period prior to cars getting ever more bloated with 'driver aids' and extra weight that try to make up for reducing driver skills/attention span.

Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
Welcome to the forum 馃榾

Fortunately, my MG-R鈥檚 are ULEZ compliment in my area. From other forums I understand it鈥檚 the Nitrous Oxide figure that is critical. NOx has to be shown as less than 0.08 on the V5 to be compliant.

Registered
  • Cheap Dashcam and Reversing Camera Installed (latest Modification)
Welcome to the forum, Tenacious! This is undoubtedly the best place to learn all the ins & outs of keeping your MG **** & span. I know next to nothing about cars but have learned a HEAP from the members here.

I'm curious to know where you mounted the display for your dash/reverse camera - I've been playing around (for far too long) with adding a carputer but am a bit stuck on where to mount the display - current thinking is to replace the stereo but that means buying and adapting an amplifier that will work with my raspberry pi.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum, Tenacious! This is undoubtedly the best place to learn all the ins & outs of keeping your MG **** & span. I know next to nothing about cars but have learned a HEAP from the members here.

I'm curious to know where you mounted the display for your dash/reverse camera - I've been playing around (for far too long) with adding a carputer but am a bit stuck on where to mount the display - current thinking is to replace the stereo but that means buying and adapting an amplifier that will work with my raspberry pi.
Hey Alistair,

Been on holiday for a little bit hence the late reply, Mine is mounted with a suction cup just below the rear mirror, with cables fed through the plastic trim out of sight. I wasn't able to find any tutorial on installing this for my attempt so that hopefully is going to be my next post, now that its been completed for a couple of months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts