MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mk1 1998 F has a nasty intermittent short on the nearside rear brake light. It only happens when it's wet or when I've just washed it and when it happens the engine management light on the dash flashes in double time with the indicator. I cannot find any sign of water ingress anywhere, though I haven't traced the route of the loom to see if there is a weak spot or worn insulation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If Roverlike's suggestion does not work, it is worth getting a copy of the wiring diagrams. I have a full set of wiring diagrams so you can trace back and see whether other circuits rely on the same wire(s).

I have not looked at the wiring diagram yet but I suspect the earth and live wires are shared by both left and right brake lights at some point in the circuit. If both do not flicker, I think that indicates the short will be close to the brake light itself. It could even be a flimsy connection at the near-side brake light itself.

Edit: A leaking light holder gasket leaking water in at the light holder?

·
Registered
mgf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Julian, I think Roverlike might well be right. I had a quick look under the boot lid hinge and although I could not see any obvious damage all the engine management and other cables come together in that vicinity. Also there was evidence of water ingress on the top of the shock absorber from when I washed it yesterday. I shall have to devote a day to experiment, access and resolve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts