MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
As above, but you could try taking the motor apart to see if you can clean it up first, I had one of mine not working on intermittent, took motor apart, there was water inside and rust, cleaned it up rebuilt it put it back together and all worked fine...had another which I took apart, cleaned but didn't make any difference was still dead

Registered

Registered
As above, but you could try taking the motor apart to see if you can clean it up first, I had one of mine not working on intermittent, took motor apart, there was water inside and rust, cleaned it up rebuilt it put it back together and all worked fine...had another which I took apart, cleaned but didn't make any difference was still dead
Just out of curiosity, how much time (ballpark) did it take you? If you did it intermittently among several days what would be the total hours?

Registered
My TF suffers with wiper lethargy at times. if I click it on for intermittent it sometimes does nothing click through and the wipers wake up again and the intermittent function starts working again too....just need it for MoT and clearing the dew as don't tend to drive either of mine in the rain.

Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
Just out of curiosity, how much time (ballpark) did it take you? If you did it intermittently among several days what would be the total hours?
Motor is simple enough to remove, just undo the linkage nut to the motor, from memory I think its a 15mm spanner and then use a 10mm spanner on the framework/motor bolts to remove it. there are two cross point head screws/bolts holding the bottom casing to the top, undo them and pull apart to clean, it can be surprising how much crud and water gets inside. Or you could leave in place and just undo the two cross head screws/bolts holding lower casing in place and try cleaning it that way without fully dismantling. Time wise, its not that long, less than an hour perhaps depeing on which way you decide to progress

Registered
mg_tf
It's important to ensure the black plastic cover is in place, this prevents water falling directly onto the wiper motor via the scuttle vent. Leave it off for any length of time and rain water will fill the motor with water. Ask me how I know:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts