MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
strange, i both a rover 400 intercooler and i cant fit it in...mmm...the guy was saying that it is from rover 400 turbo :)
Maybe from an earlier shape 420 petrol turbo?? post a picture up and then i'm sure someone will be able to confirm if thats the case or not.

Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Maybe from an earlier shape 420 petrol turbo?? post a picture up and then i'm sure someone will be able to confirm if thats the case or not.

Cheers, Mark.
Should still fit, I've got examples of both intercoolers laying around, there's very little (if any!) difference in size, as I looked into whether the T16 intercooler would be any better than the stock 220 one. Not really checked mountings, but they all mount to the side of the rad, whether diesel or petrol.

However, I don't have an L-series 400 one to hand, so they could be a little different, so definitely pop some photos up. :)

Your supplier could of course be referring to the earlier wedge shaped 400 1.8 turbodiesels, which do have a different intercooler?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i took the front bumper down as well, i though that it will be easier. i dont know exactly how to call some parts on the car so i will describe them.

when im sliding the intercooler down, one of these tubes where im connecting the hose is blocking the way, because is hitting the big black thing what is connecting one front wheel whith the second front one(dont know how to call that "bar". also maybe the problem will be that i dont have the mounting brackets, i dont know how they look like so maybe this will be a problem as well...

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Sorry Mate that is not the right intercooler Fuzzwoof's right looks like one from a T16 or other rover petrol turbo. Knew it did'nt look right hence why i routed around in the garage and found my orignal intercooler off my 400 exactly the same as the 200 one.

This is what you need so take it back armed now with the knowledge of what one really looks like, how much did you pay for it out of interest?

Hope the pictures help.

Cheers, Mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Mate that is not the right intercooler Fuzzwoof's right looks like one from a T16 or other rover petrol turbo. Knew it did'nt look right hence why i routed around in the garage and found my orignal intercooler off my 400 exactly the same as the 200 one.

This is what you need so take it back armed now with the knowledge of what one really looks like, how much did you pay for it out of interest?

Hope the pictures help.

Cheers, Mark.
cheers mate, paid 20 pounds...never mind, at least i`ve learned something :) will have to go for a normal rover 200 one :) dont wanna sell yours ??? :)

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
what are you trying to do?

Just replace your original?

or trying to fit an intercooler to the non intercooled SD engine to make it an SDi?

cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
what bits do you need apart from the intercooler? might be able to help you with some of it all put you in touch with people who can.

basic list of parts generally required to do fit the intercooler to a Rover 200SD:-

metal pipe that goes from turbo over the engine
rubber pipe from metal pipe to bottom of intercooler
the intercooler itself
rubber pipe from the top of the intercooler to the inlet alloy inlet pipe
alloy inlet pipe that connects to manifold
alloy manifold
blanking plate to cover EGR valve opening in alloy inlet pipe

let me know what you are missing.

You will also need to modify your throttle cable mounting bracket to fit around the rubber pipes
ask Friggerpants about this i'm sure he posted picture of this throttle modification as he has already done what you are trying to do and has fitted a intercooler to a 200SD(non intercooled mechanical fuel pump model).

Mark.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got everything, just need intercooler rad and mounting brackets,if they r needed :) everything is in the car fitted, just got to mount the intercooler and i`ve got stucked :)

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Do you have the correct rubber pipes?

i will sell you my intercooler for £20+ cost of postage to you in Corby if thats ok? or are you off to the RAF Cosford Meet 20th May next Sunday?
if so could give you the intercooler then and save on the cost of postage?

Personal message me and let me know mate, Cheers, Mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts