MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

got a 418 gsd 1994. my brother has a zx citroen, Now apparantly they both have the same engine units, but the rover seem so much flexible and faster. I then noticed the bog intercooler. But a mate said all diesels have intercoolers?? personally it hought that was crap.
can anyone settle it for us. plus what adventage is there with a intercooler and why???

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No, not all turbo's have intercoolers at all.

This is one of the main differences between the SD and SDi Rovers IIRC.

The intercooler keeps intake temperatures down.

·
Registered
637 Posts
senna said:
hi

got a 418 gsd 1994. my brother has a zx citroen, Now apparantly they both have the same engine units, but the rover seem so much flexible and faster. I then noticed the bog intercooler. But a mate said all diesels have intercoolers?? personally it hought that was crap.
can anyone settle it for us. plus what adventage is there with a intercooler and why???

when you compress the air with the turbo it heats up and expands-so you get less air in the engine, therefore less air to burn fuel with so less power. If you cool the air down with an intercooler you can get more air into the engine per unit volume, therefore you can burn more fuel as you have got more air in the same volume.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paul.foran said:
when you compress the air with the turbo it heats up and expands-so you get less air in the engine, therefore less air to burn fuel with so less power. If you cool the air down with an intercooler you can get more air into the engine per unit volume, therefore you can burn more fuel as you have got more air in the same volume.

well explained paul! off to my local to settle some arguments;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts