MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a cmment on another thread i was wondering if this is possible and worth while. So here goes

The price of some of these enclosed induction kits is so high it could well be worth just sticking on an open cone and FMIC if possible.

The way the engine is in my car a civic type r. (the airbox is in a similar position to the K series and funnily enough the engine model is also part of the honda K series) Anyway its near a place that will experience a lot of heatsoak and the airbox is actually facing the opposite way to normal because of the way the manifold is. Making it difficult to get Cold Air feeds to it.

Basically, could a FMIC be fitted, i know a lot of superchargers have been fitted to these cars with FMIC so there will be some available but i dont want to fork out so much for the whole shabang of a SC kit. Im soon going to be having a customizable ECU so it will be remapped to handle this if one cna be fitted. Ive heard of a lot of CTRs having induction kits and experiencing a lot of heat soak thus losing a fair chunk of power. So im not sure what is best.

So:

A) is it possible.

B) is it worthwhile

C) just buy a turbo charged car, you know you miss your old one :lol:

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
forget it mate!

just not worth it, you'll get loads of throttle delay, better option would be to insulate your airbox

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forget it mate!

just not worth it, you'll get loads of throttle delay, better option would be to insulate your airbox
had never heard of it before so the above is probably why

protecting it from heatsoak aint the problem, its getting some cold air to it.

Where the intake to the airbox would normally be we have the output to the engine, as so

the above is a near £400 enclosed kit which still needs custom frigging of scuttle boards :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
Whoever said above to forget it then youre very wrong sorry!

I have driven alot of hondas! My MkII CRX had an "interfooler" installed and believe me, it gave so much better gains than a full CAI!!! Why???

Cos its mounted at the front where it gets ALOT of very cold air and the piping length isnt much more that a full CAI!!! And its forced in with quite a bit of pressure as youre travelling along so the O2 content is hell of alot more!!!

If youre going to do it properly then look up info on Honda or JDM forums (civicsportsclub / Hondarevolutions / JDMYo etc...) Do a search and you'll find all you need to know!!! :D

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm, mixed views.

The CAI kits for the CTR tend to be very long arm in order to get cold air. Perhaps one for the civic forum, always like to check out here first. I trust the info a bit more.

Cheers Guys

·
Registered
714 Posts
hmmm, mixed views.

The CAI kits for the CTR tend to be very long arm in order to get cold air. Perhaps one for the civic forum, always like to check out here first. I trust the info a bit more.

Cheers Guys
It will have to be "long" as to get to the cooler areas of the engine bay and front of the car! The full CAI i had for my Del Sol was about 2.5ft long but theyre specially made and "tuned" so that they work best when down in either the bumper spaces where theres plenty of cold air or just in front of the front wheel above the arch liner or in front of it!

Do a search on AEM and see what you come up with! Theyre, as far as im concerned, the best CAI's you can but for Hondas :D

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
he didn't ask about a front mounted air filter, he asked about fitting an intercooler......

yes a filter relocated into the front bumper would work as its cooler air and its a direct pipe rather than the air having to fit through small passageways in an intercooler.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
he didn't ask about a front mounted air filter, he asked about fitting an intercooler......

yes a filter relocated into the front bumper would work as its cooler air and its a direct pipe rather than the air having to fit through small passageways in an intercooler.
problem is the filter connects the wrong way from the front making it difficult to get cold feeds to it or get the Induction kit near front. Can be seen in the picture

1 - 10 of 10 Posts