MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this damn air intake has been on my mind for ages now, and lets be straight, cutting the head off the snake helps, but it's still FUBAR. Yesterday I decided to take a proper look around the airbox and especially the pipework in that area, then I went and spent 8 quid on some of that silver flexi pipe and sorted out the intake once and for all! (well, atleast till I mod it properly, got more plans for later).

I noticed that if you remove the engine top cover and take off that useless piece of crap we have for an intake that you would definately be able to use flexi pipe to run from the airbox, and then down through the pipework by the fuel filter to the bottom front right hand corner of the engine bay (lookin from the front ofcourse), and thats what I did, fitted the pipe to the airbox, threaded it through the pipework and viola! dropped the old intake in the boot and refitted the engine cover. And what a difference, the engine is much more free reving than before and I had chopped my old intake back already. The mouth of the pipe is down at the bottom of my engine, ofcourse if I run into a lake I run the risk of sucking in some water, but this is a temporary meassure for now, and cause its flexi pipe I could bend it anywhere.

The bonuses ofcourse are a far better supply of unrestricted air to the engine, I'm drawing in much cooler air since I'm drawing it from the bottom away from anything hot (like that radiator!), and unlike the old intake it doesn't run over the top of a red hot engine which is only going to make sure that hot air is being drawn in since the intake is heated.

I'll take some pics tomorrow with it fitted and post them, but please remember this was a quick fit and may not look "pro" till tiedied up LOL.

My plans for the future now are to increase the diameter of the hole on the airbox to about 2" (I think thats the bore of the pipe I'm using) and to replace the silver flexi pipe with some black rubber hose, the size/type used on the intercooler so that it looks more "natural" and the to cut the back off the old intake and refit it to the engine so there isn't that empty "arch" at the front of the engine cover where the intake sits, should also guide some cooler air over the top of the engine with a bit of luck.

So, yep for £8 I'm happy with the results, the engine revs alot more freely straight up the range, without that bad spot at higher revs where it feels like it's being held back, I can push each gear alot harder than before now if I want to put power down hard aswell :)

I'm actually kinda supprised this hasn't been done already, but hey, everything comes to those who wait!

pics to follow :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be honest, I aint sure, I know it's larger than that of the airbox, but since it's that alloy pipe I folded it at the intake and secured with a jubilee clip, the pipe I bought from Halfords, they oly had the 1 size on the racks but I think it's in the region of 2 1/2" - 3" diameter, which is why I want to open up the hole into the airbox, thats still creating a minor bottleneck.

Looks about the samedia as the intercooler , possibly very slightly larger.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Funny, one of my colleagues and I were looking at that sort of possibility the other lunchtime at work. I like it. Where is your intake? What about using one of those elliptical things adjacent to the fog lights?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the intake is towards the very bottom of the bay right at the front, looking down there's a circular hole in the bottom, thats where I'm drawing air from, although I have bent the bottom end about 90 degrees to point towards the front. I really want to get some more substantial piping though, best bet is the type of hose used on the intercooler, then I'll add a high flow filter to the end and take out the stock air filter. Think the black rubber will look more natural aswell, but for right now this is working amazingly well :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we've had enough rain since doing this mod and I've had no problems with water at all, I figure that the pipe is:
1. so long water isn't/can't make it all the way to the filter
2. The bore of the pipe is much bigger than at the filter end that the air preassure isn't enough to suck water in unless fully submirsed for a time under water

The engine revs freely all the way up and I'm happy :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that flexi pipe was more than long enough, it will reach right down to the under engine cover if you want it to. I did notice a perfectly round hole in the under engine cover where you could actualy put the end of the pipe, it'll reach, but figured thats way too much risk of sucking dust and crap in then, so I have my pipe all the way down then bent about 90 degrees at the end so the mouth faces forwards rather than straight at the hole.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes m8 no problems here so far, figured with the rain storms we were havin round Rochdale today would have shown up any problems with water, but none at all :) I'm sure you'll notice the diference, infact, yours is so spec'd up I'm interested to know if you do feel the difference but I'm sure you must once you let the engine breath properly :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts