MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im Confused,Ive jus this minute rang my insurance Company who i have been with for a year next month, So i rang up to ask about a renewal qoute, so i assumed that my insurance would be cheaper but to my shock its just over £35's more :irked:, There Excuse was that there has been lots of crashes in this area which i can only pin point to my dads claim, would his claim boost my Premium up too, im not going to change companies as i cannot find anywhere who will insure me for only £800's (im only 19).

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
they all do it at renewal time, caus they hope you cant be asked to shop around will just say yes!

Shop around and shop around some more!!!

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Mattl is right, they sneakily put the price up when you go to renewal hoping you wont be bothered to look elsewhere. With a lot of insurers it pays to get a new quote from the same insurer, and compare it to your renewal, as it's usually cheaper..

Jonathan

·
Banned
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeh i did it the other week, its bout £100 cheaper but how would that work, would i have to cancel the original policy or just let it run out and pay the 2 months in advance thing

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
yeah ive done that before with tesco. let it run out and restart it again to get the online discount instead of opting for the renewal.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A site that ive always found handy is that money supermarket - they give you all the best offers on credit cards etc but also have a section for motor insurance. Thats how I bought my last lot of insurance, and I saved £100. Once you've got the cheapest quote from there ring your insurers and ask them to beat it and they prob will to keep your business. Its www.moneysupermarket.com iirc. Just checked, thats correct - only prob is it doesnt like Firefox browser so you have to have I.E installed :-(

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
When you year is over, and you have the NCB...
You just go to a different company.

They dont like repeat business for young people...its like...Blimey...we escaped a pay out for one year...we dont really want them again!

Im on my 3rd company in 3 years...no point staying with same company, they dont offer anything for being loyal.

Shop around...elephant would be your best call....
Then when you get the quote..
Do it again...
And add either your mum/dad as a second driver...
Brings the quote down by a hundred quid or so...mine came down 200quid...which covered the mods...which was about 200quid!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My insurance went up £140 last year. Phoned up loads of companies and all the same. Not sure what changed on my car but i think its a scam. :***:

·
Registered
rover_75
53 Posts
What really annoys me is the renewal goes up, so you shop around and get a better price on a like for like policy. Then the original company phone to see why you aren't renewing, you tell them you found a better price and they say, "you should have phoned us we will beat any price". So why dont they just offer the best price in the first place?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
pompeyrich said:
What really annoys me is the renewal goes up, so you shop around and get a better price on a like for like policy. Then the original company phone to see why you aren't renewing, you tell them you found a better price and they say, "you should have phoned us we will beat any price". So why dont they just offer the best price in the first place?
I tried that on directline this year but it didnt work, they wouldnt budge. They wanted £666, admiral wanted £457 with half the excess! Next year might be fun though...

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
pompeyrich said:
I totally agree, I had this debate with O2 recently, I wanted to upgrade handset after a year and not being a overly heavy user they said the Motorola V3 would cost me at least £250. I said get bent and phoned up to cancel the contract and got asked loads of questions, and in the end they matched the offer they have to new customers, which is the phone for FREE! So they'd of quite happily fleeced me of £250! :irked:

Jonathan

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Funny you say than Loaky...
Ive always wondered...does the call centre gimp get a % cut if he sells you the 250quid phone?
Like a bonus, for screwing you?...if so...who would ever do that kind of dishonest job?
If they aint on a bonus sceme, then why would they not just let you do it?

STIPIDO!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The reason for this is that over 75% of the population change insurer less than every five years. Therefore they temp you with a low quote and then sponge off of you for a further 4.

Obviously there are exceptions.

·
Registered
rover_75
53 Posts
Has anyone else fallen foul of the protected no-claims,dare I say, scam? I had a full no-claims discount, 60-65%. Some little git broke into my car and stole the ECU from the glovebox, along with my jacket and some tapes. I made a claim for about £500 from my fully comprehensive policy. When the renewal came it had shot up by about £200, I phoned the company for an explanation and was told that my no claim was still 60% but I was now a higher risk as I had made a claim and my policy had risen to reflect that risk. I tried to shop around but no-one would touch me because I had made a claim in the last year!! Grrrrr who started this thread!!!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
That is standard. It is a protection of the percentage discount off of the base policy price. Make a claim and the base price goes up, hence the discounted one will as well.

Not a scam and all in your documents.

·
Registered
849 Posts
michaelperrin said:
Funny you say than Loaky...
Ive always wondered...does the call centre gimp get a % cut if he sells you the 250quid phone?
Like a bonus, for screwing you?...if so...who would ever do that kind of dishonest job?
If they aint on a bonus sceme, then why would they not just let you do it?

STIPIDO!

Having been (a very long time ago) one of these call centre gimps, as you so eloquently put it, the way it works (or used to work) is this:

Normal Customer service types are given a matrix with average monthly spend and discount entitlement on it. The higher the spend the bigger the discount. When you ring up, they work out the discount you are entitled to, and then take that off the offline price of the phone.
This is a rigid thing, in that you have no room to negotiate with your customer. Also you have no comission or bonus from this. The customer (quite rightly) will tell you to stuff it as they will have seen the phone they want advertised elsewhere for a lot less. So you put them through to the "disconnections" department. Who dont actually do the disconnecting, they are there specifically to persuade the customer to stay with the company (they are often called "save" as that is what they do). and they have a different matrix with different discounts and much more room to negotiate and strike a deal. More often than not they will offer to price match the deal the customer has seen advertised elsewhere.

Why it is(or was) set up this way I have no idea, but you can imagine the grief it caused the normal customer services staff as it was like showing a red rag to a bull. Mind you this was about 6 years ago, so things may have changed by now.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
ali_aslam said:
Having been (a very long time ago) one of these call centre gimps, as you so eloquently put it, the way it works (or used to work) is this:

Normal Customer service types are given a matrix with average monthly spend and discount entitlement on it. The higher the spend the bigger the discount. When you ring up, they work out the discount you are entitled to, and then take that off the offline price of the phone.
This is a rigid thing, in that you have no room to negotiate with your customer. Also you have no comission or bonus from this. The customer (quite rightly) will tell you to stuff it as they will have seen the phone they want advertised elsewhere for a lot less. So you put them through to the "disconnections" department. Who dont actually do the disconnecting, they are there specifically to persuade the customer to stay with the company (they are often called "save" as that is what they do). and they have a different matrix with different discounts and much more room to negotiate and strike a deal. More often than not they will offer to price match the deal the customer has seen advertised elsewhere.

Why it is(or was) set up this way I have no idea, but you can imagine the grief it caused the normal customer services staff as it was like showing a red rag to a bull. Mind you this was about 6 years ago, so things may have changed by now.
Well from what you say it doesn't sound as if it's changed much, well with O2 anyway. It appeared to me the people on the upgrade line didn't have any room for deals, and as you say it's all worked out on prices taking into account the usage. It seemed to me the disconnections people were there as a safety net to hopefully catch the people that weren't happy about there upgrades, like me.
Well I guess with everything it pays to make a point and look around, as I bet there's plenty of people that just accept it and pay more for a new handset, just depends on whether you've got time to mess about on the phone.

Jonathan

·
Registered
rover_75
53 Posts
That is standard. It is a protection of the percentage discount off of the base policy price. Make a claim and the base price goes up, hence the discounted one will as well.

Not a scam and all in your documents
It probably is in the document somewhere, but not as high profile as the "save yourself from nasty shocks after a claim by protecting your NCD" type of sales pitch. Most people I tell my story to are shocked especially as it costs 10% or more of the base premium to protect your NCD.
So youre right not a scam but not 100% transparent either.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Even if you have protected no claims bonus they are still going to ask you if you have had an accident/claim in the past five years- and if you have then your screwed. The protected no claims is just an extra money maker in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts