MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:uch: Ok imma new driver , and i want to drive my mums Mg zr 1.4. At the moment my dads the main driver on it and my mums the 2nd driver , so i wud be the 3rd driver .. but i called up my mums insurance company and they quoted me £2900 to be added onto her insurance....which i cant afford lol.

i was just wondering if u guys know of anythin cheaper or any better insurance companys i can try ? :sad3:

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
It is because of all the people committing insurance fraud by insuring their car in their parents name to get deflated policies.

Insurance companies are starting to not believe that it is really the parents car.

Try a different insurance company who may be willing to accept you will only be an infrequent driver.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Im under my mum on my car, but on the certificate of insurance it says next to both our names "Regular Driver, lives at home".
If they are going to charge £2900 for insurance they are going to force people on to policies as named drivers.
Ive had accidents under my mothers name, and they have not questioned as to whether i drive it regularly or not, as their policy states i am a regular driver.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
empsburna said:
try someone like Direct Line, they offer no claims for named drivers as well now!
Yep, its good but on a ZR its still going to be a bit pricey for them to be the policy holder.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How can any insurance company justify £2900 per year for insurance? They will just force young drivers to do without insurance. They are simply quoting figures like that to deter them from taking out a policy with them so they can cherry pick the demographic they want. Insurance companies should not be allowed to do this, they should have to quote a fair rate to everyone and demonstrate that they are not showing predjudice. I understand that new drivers are higher risk due to inexperience but that should maybe mean a couple of hundred extra not thousands. It is time a basic form of insurance was introduced to be included with road tax. It would then be up to the individual to upgrade to enhanced policies if they desire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could try this company

I'm not promising anything, but I have found an insurance company that is wiping it's feet on all other insureres. They are based in Southern Ireland, they are a big outfit and they are extremely helpful.

If you meet their criteria, they should put a smile on your face.

www.quinn-direct.com

·
Registered
965 Posts
ive found www.confused.com to be good. they are an online broker, and you only have to put in all your details once. they should be able to find a quote for both you and your mum, and they search through all the online companies, although i have usually found Quinn to come back as being the cheapest, and admiral not far behind.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
At these sorts of prices, it's clearly a good idea to shop around and find an insurer who will give you a reasonable, if high, quote on terms you can accept.

Whatever you do, be straight with the company you eventually choose. If you try "bending the truth" about how much you intend driving the car and have an accident in the situation you said would never happen, you could also find you have no insurance.

An alternative plan is to build up your own NCB on something small in a low group like a Citroën AX or Saxo - even maybe a Rover 100! - and wait a year or two.

There are lots of threads here on these topics with suggestions for insurers - just do a search for "insurance"...

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Thats right , ive got a Rover 111 GSi group 4 or 5 insurance I think. Paid £850 when I was 18 then £560 when I was 19 now I am paying £350 quid. First two were with Norwhich Union, now with RAC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts