MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has arrived :( and its payday so I can afford .....

My current insurance of my first year of driving TPO was 1500 pounds expires 30/03/05 with Holdsure ( through a broker. )

My cheapest insurance I have found recently ( as it changes so often ) is tesco it suddently dropped 100 pounds in last month so quite pleased.
1121 pounds Fully comp with coutesy car :)

Now you can pay online & get a discount of 5% ( which I presume is included ) plus you get tesco club card points , so thats a lot of vouchers so also another reason to go with tesco. I'm planning on paying all in one go ( hope I don't fall short this month ) & will tesco insurance take over as soon as the date you select becomes the day in life :p which basically means can I insure it on the day no problems or is it best doing it now a week ahead & losing my money a week prematurely ?

Secondly how do I prove I have no claims bonus I presume they'll want to have my details from holdsure etc. Will they phone me up or expect me to send them some letters ???

Sorry its just my first time I'm personally dealing with insurance ( as my dad did it last year through his broker, & paid half so I was happy for him to pick the place :) )

The car is a Rover 214 si 16 valve , P reg ( 97 ) you rate the quote is the best I will get ??

Oh ah I'm thinkin of changing my car in the summer, so I'm looking for tesco to be happy to swap it like holdsure were ( lol holdsure did it for nothing except the broker fee of 20 pounds ) fiesta mk3 to rover mk3

cheers for any help ( plus i realise its banks holidays & weekends so its goin to be quite difficult to get hold of my details from my current company )

·
Registered
782 Posts
Was your last insurance in your name or your Dad's ? if it was your's then all you will have to supply I reckon is your renewal notice which will state your no claims entitlement.

If it was in your Dad's name then you will (in my opinion) not have any no claims officially.

You should ask tesco's what their charges are for transferring/cancelling before taking it out.

DaveH

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i think your correct too, you dont collect no claims bonuses unless you have had a policy in your name for a year with no accidents. so teh last being in your dads name dosnt count! but it has given you driving experience and soem companies give you discount for that!

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
The insurance first year was in his name (just to clear it up)..

Yes, you'll get a renewal notice, stating 1 years NCB, and the quote....

This is proof of NCB, and they'll ask you to send this (maybe).... some companies just ask that you have proof if you need it..

Regards

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh the insurance was in my name, its just my dad dealt with all the details, IE he picked the broker hes been with for the last ( God only knows how many years ) & he paid 750 pounds ( cuz last year I was in college & with only a part time job )

Yeh I got a renewal quote through the door, altho its from my Broker ( not holdsure ) ' 1 years no claims discount' ( unprotected )

Hmmm The only thing I have from Holdsure is the Cover note of the coming year ( if I accept their quote ) it says No claims discounts 1 / Claim free years 1 /

Although I can't find any codes or anything on it, theres a code on 'endorsements' but would thought thts a category for me.

There is however a my policy number, is that what I need to give to tesco ?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Basically the document that you have that say's your existing insurance company are prepared to offer you insurance @ £.... with X amount of no claims - give em that if they ask for proof.

DaveH

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great, easier than I Thought then. Least this year the cost of the insurance is less than the cost of the car.

Final one then when would you pay for the new insurance takin note 30 is the last day of my cover, would you order it before or pay on the day ?? ( as the companies say 'instant cover' )

·
Registered
782 Posts
Suppose it depends how you are going to pay for it.

Have you got a quote from tesco's that has a reference number, if so you could go online the day before it's due and set the ball rolling then and if you are paying for it all up front then I suspect they will take payment then.

DaveH

G

·
How much is your car worth? For example, I would consider a TPFT quote if the car is not worth much over £1000.

I got a VERY good on-line quote from www.halifaxcarinsurance.co.uk for our 820 Sterling. At "209 it was about £40 - £150 cheaper than the others I tried. Tesco was the most expensive on-line!

·
Registered
38 Posts
just insured my car the other day with Churchill online. you select the date for it to start. give them all your details inc card number direct debit etc and they take the money out on the day the policy starts.
Therefore sort it out now and you'll only pay on the day you need it from.
i recon that most other companies will be similar too

and finally, i would definatly look into going TPFT cause its a massive price difference and if your cars not worth that much then what does it matter.
my quote £1000 fully comp, £520 TPFT ... guess which i went with ??

Antony

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well its mainly due cuz later in the year I'm prob goin to buy a newer car ( either a streetwise or a ZR) both are rather expensive so be easier have 'comp' now than to change it later ??

·
Registered
38 Posts
i see where your coming from however. its just as easy to change the type of policy as it is to change the vehicle.

Just trying to save you some cash

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
If you plan on buying a car half way through your policy....in my opinion, lie, say ur name is John Doe, age (whatver you will be), an address near you...and found out if they will cover you.

You may find the company you insure your 200 with, may give a good quote, but wont on a ZR.

If you get a quote on a 200, and then say...will it be ok to change car in the future....they always say yes, but if your young...its bull....they put you on these special policies, where by you cant change over mid term usually. So do watch out for that.
It may not happen, but just make sure that you can change...they cant quote(its too far in the future), but make sure you are both singing from the same song sheet.

Also how old are you.
For an unmodded car, thats not very cheap.

Try...
www.elephant.co.uk
See your quote price...
Then do it again...add your mum/dad as a second driver.(totally legal)...
Watch the price come down, usually by 100quid or more.

Mike

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
lol I'm only 19 I thought that was rather good from 1500 pounds(last year), I'll have a check through though.

just had a look at fully comp on there , I thought wow cheaper then I saw

"AN EXCESS OF £1020 APPLIES TO THIS POLICY"

whats the point of insurance if you pay an excess like tht.

Then I just tried third party f&f & its exactly 100 pound cheaper than full comp, so just seemed lil more worth while goin for the fill comp scheme

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Its not that bad, just i reckon it can be had for cheaper.

Doesnt hurt to spend a day ringing around and saving some £££££££

:)

(Just make sure its not on your mobile!)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the details im puttin in

1 years no claim
214si 16 valve P reg
(were on a good postcode so that shouldn't be effectin it )
12000 miles a year ( this year I've done more but I 've owned two cars so theres no way they can check )
Fully comp
( No pass plus )
no modifications

how would you knock it down with them details then ?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm, can't even match tescos now, lol they've raised it to 1151 pounds ( 30 pounds in one day ) lucky for me I saved the quote yesterday. Mby one these days they'll lower it too---- loads :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
I started off with Budget. I strongly recommend you go with them.

I'd been driving on my Dad's insurance for 20 years+. Sadly Dad passed away 2 years ago so I had to get my own insurance.

I did a bit of phoning around as I thought if I could get at least a few years NCD due to the time I've been driving then so much the better.

As i had been the main driver on Dad's policy for some time, to cut a long story short, Budget gave me the full 9 years + NCD, so I got it 65-70% off straight off.

Give them a try.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts