MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cover around my instrument binnacle is damaged. All the brackets are broken and it has even cracked in 2 places at the top. I am going to repair and repaint the binnacle cover, the instrument cowl and the centre console so that they all have the same colour and to breath a little life into the tired plastic.

My question is, will it be safe to drive the car without the binnacle cover and cowl actually on the car? I ask this as I'm advised to disconnect the battery when taking these bits off so as to not set off the airbag. But once theyre actually off, is it ok to reconnect the battery and use the car?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
hi colin...cant believe this hasnt been replied to yet

ive removed mine for painting without disconnecting battery with no problems whatsoever...its when you want to work directly on the airbag or steering wheel when this is important

dont get me wrong, doing this would make it completely safe but i cant see a prob to be honest...

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
Can we take it you know the colour you want is (Some manufacturer’s) colour called Light Smokestone?
Basic question is which manufacturer’s colour is it?
If you know that, I would start with a visit to Halfords display, and see if they have it as an off the shelf colour. If they don’t, then they should be able to mix it for you. Alternative would be to find a local car paints supplier.

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
Sorry, but I don’t understand your lack of answer.
OK. Let’s try another way:-
‘Light Smokestone’ - where did you get this colour name from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The name of the interior trim is "Light smokestone" but I there's no manufacturer's paint code with this reference (never for the interior) hence i'm calling for someone more knowledgeable who's been there and done that and can provide some pointers.

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
OK, I’ve just looked this up, and it seems what you are talking about is trying to paint a piece of trim ( binnacle cover as in the 8 year old thread?) to try to match the colour of the coloured plastic.
My thoughts would be that there will not be a ‘paint code’ for it (because it wasn’t painted?). If you must paint - whatever piece of trim you are intending to paint - would it be easier to simply replace it with a better secondhand one of the same trim colour?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, i repaired the cowl and yes i want to repaint it same color as the original trim and yes the trim is painted but no there wasn't a manufacturer color code and no i'm not going to replace it because rarely available and if any, the lugs will be missing... so I'm going back to square one: Anyone has actionable info as to where to find paint similar to "light smokestone"?

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
Rimmer Brothers lists all the different options and colours for the interior trims, you may find an item/part code printed onto the plastic of the cowl in order for you to locate the exact colour you have or require, as they are not painted but actually coloured plastic you may need to take the panel to a provider of spray paint that can colour match for you with a machine in order to get an exact match.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. Problem solved: brought it to an upholstery shop and they did it on the spot by scanning the original color. There's no color coding for it, just a name - confirmed by Rimmer - so scanning is the only option. It is very much painted - at least in this shade - the inner face of the cowl is dark gray/black.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,135 Posts
Pretty sure the surrounds were always just plain black plastic from the factory - someone must have painted it to match the rest of the dash at some point, I would think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts