MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my engine mount knackered? & while you're having a look name the unlabeled parts to educate me.

The pictures were taken behind the left front wheel. I've been hearing a 'clanging' from this area when driving over certain bumps & plus when my revs drop from around 3,000 rpm I heard a popping/knocking sort of noise.

Also note how the rubber has curled up off the spring - but I doubt that's the source of my problem.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks to me from the pic that you have a broken spring !!!

Looks just like mine when it went about 6 weeks ago.

Urgent attention required if it is.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ah the bigger picture is much better.

I looked at the coil above the bottom one and it seemed to me that the coating of the spring had split which is usually a sign that the metal underneath could be or is about to fracture.

The picture is still not that clear. Can you clean the coil a bit and take another pic ??

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ok no probs. Make sure you note whats on the sticker if you remove it. You never know you might need it if you need a new spring.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If its only the one side.Have a look the other side,see if you can see anything different.Get someone to push the front down while you look/listen.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks a lot better cleaned up and I think panic over.

If you cant see or feel any breaks in the covering then I think you have checked as far as you can and should be ok.

Sorry if I worried you but there have been a few cases of springs breaking recently, including mine, and since I have never had a spring break on any other car in 40 years of motoring makes me a bit cautious.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry if I worried you but there have been a few cases of springs breaking recently, including mine, and since I have never had a spring break on any other car in 40 years of motoring makes me a bit cautious.
No worries. I'm grateful for any free advice I can get.

Early Rover 75s had a recall for some defect which caused the front springs to break IIRC.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
They had two recalls.

The first was for inspection and replace springs if necessary. Vin numbers from RJ001242 to RJ133299 Build dates from 01/12/1998 to 27/10/1999

The Second was to fit a retaining device so that if the spring did fracture it would not destroy the tyre as the same time. Vin number from RJ133300 to RJ247257 Build dates from 27/10/1999 to 20/02/2002

If you follow this link and do a search on Rover 75 from 1998 to date the above info falls out.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Only problem is that cars outside the VIN numbers above are suffering from fratured springs. Mind you I am only basing this on a few cases reported on this forum and The 75 and ZT Owners club forum and you could expect to hear mainly problems on thses sites. Not many people post with a 'my car is great and there is nothing wrong with it' probably cos it would tempt fate a bit

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its only the one side.Have a look the other side,see if you can see anything different.Get someone to push the front down while you look/listen.
I got my flatmate to push the front while I listened but we were unsuccessful. Perhaps if he had a muscle arm like yours...

I'm posting in this thread again primarily to get it to the top of the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts