MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been suffering a coolant leak for a quite some time. HGF was sorted in January but still loosing collant. Dealer diagnosed leaking inlet manifold (shouldn't they have spotted this when they did the head gasket?) and say it is a warped manifold due to the hgf. The car overheated for about 15 seconds so i have my doubts. Plus the plastic they make these out of is that kind of poly-carbonate and if anything it would crack.

They have quoted £245 and 3 hrs for a new manifold. Rimmer's quoted part# LKB109290 at £97 +VAT- bit of a difference!!!!

I'm just concerned this isn't the right part. Can anyone advise before i tell the dealer that they are a shower of crooks?

·
Registered
152 Posts
marko123 said:
I've been suffering a coolant leak for a quite some time. HGF was sorted in January but still loosing collant. Dealer diagnosed leaking inlet manifold (shouldn't they have spotted this when they did the head gasket?) and say it is a warped manifold due to the hgf. The car overheated for about 15 seconds so i have my doubts. Plus the plastic they make these out of is that kind of poly-carbonate and if anything it would crack.

They have quoted £245 and 3 hrs for a new manifold. Rimmer's quoted part# LKB109290 at £97 +VAT- bit of a difference!!!!

I'm just concerned this isn't the right part. Can anyone advise before i tell the dealer that they are a shower of crooks?
My mates hg went about two weeks ago and when it was fixed water was leaking just like yours does. My advice would be to try a new manifold gasket first (should only cost about £30 + VAT to fix including labour).

FYI although this is the first time his hg went this is the second time he has had this problem and obviously the hg failure has caused the problem to re-surface.

If it isn't the gasket then all you have wasted is money is a nite on the beer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
£245 plus 3 hours labour is expensive but accurate

£100 for the part and 3 hours at £45-50 per hour is where they get there price

agree go change gasket first and if that fails how competent are you at diy?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had this problem after I bought my 45, the Head Gasket had been replaced just before I bought it, a month or so later the inlet manifold started leaking.
I replaced it in a couple of hours the gasket cost £7.42. I also noticed that whoever had done the head gasket had used silicone gasket compound on the old inlet manf. gasket, not good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers chaps.

They replaced the gasket foc and it was still leaking. They were looking for £205 for the manifold and 3 hrs labour at £180 all plus VAT. near enough £500. I said i'd think about it and tokk the car away. On the motorway on the way home...no power to speak of.

Pulled over and popped the bonnet- hose from turbo to the inlet manifold not connected!!! Shockingly bad service. I'll name no names but they are based in the West of Scotland and are called after what a knight carries that is not a sword!

I phoned my usual dealer (there is a long story involving this garage- they were the nearest dealer when the car needed recovered for the hgf - i would have prefered my normal dealer but they were 40 miles away!) and they came up with a price of £230.

Is this for the part i asked? No, the whole lot. £117 for the manifold and 1.5 hrs labour. They also will give me a courtesy car for the day as per usual.

example of a proper dealer who look after their customers. (Morrisons in Stirling).

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Labour is 2.25hours for a K 1.8 inlet manifold change. If you bill is 1.5hours then you are getting a bargain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
most of the hourly rates that have been quoted here seem cheap

most main dealers these days charge anything from £70 up to £100 an hour plus vat

i would hate not being a tech and needing to take my car to a garge ,well i just would not be able to afford to own the cars that i have

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
836 Posts
most of the hourly rates that have been quoted here seem cheap

most main dealers these days charge anything from £70 up to £100 an hour plus vat

i would hate not being a tech and needing to take my car to a garge ,well i just would not be able to afford to own the cars that i have
That's the great thing about owning a Rover these days- no temptation to go anywhere near a "Main Dealer" ..... as there aren't any !!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I've been suffering a coolant leak

Some confusion here. The inlet manifold I replaced on my car cost me £449. How come they only cost £97 from Rimmers?

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=270472&highlight=Inlet+Manifold+Replacement

There is another thread started here that is talking about VIS motors and inlet manifolds that doesn't seem to be the same part.

Edd

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
836 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
VIS motors are only on V6 engines. This thread is about a 4 cylinder K16 engine (the clue was in the mention of "HGF").
Oh sorry... I assumed that HGF stood for Head Gasket Failure. I guess it must mean something else then.

Can you tell I ain't a mechanic? I can pull apart a computer and put it back together almost blindfolded. I don't remember them having an HGF. :xmascheers:

Edd

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
It does! Any thread where the OP refers to their "HGF" implies that they have a 4 pot K-series petrol engine.

So if I was to start a thread with... I have orange gunge in the V. Which engine is that?

If I was to start a thread with... I have Mayo under my cap. Which engine is that?

And I can think of many other threads that have similar enigmatic beginnings that could be just as confusing to a beginner like me.

Thanks for your patience

Edd

I know how to connect an IP to a Mac address. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts