MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, the tale of woe with this car is extencive, since Febuary Its been totaly sha**ed.

Problem - intermitent (once every 3-12 seconds drop in revs at idle)

The latest attempt to fix it was replacing the inlet manifold gasket. This cured the problem for a day but a week later the fault is back.

any ideas? what could cause the gasket to blow?

so far in search of a solution I have...
replaced
exaust valves
coil pack
head gasket
ht leads
plugs
inlet manifold gasket

god I hate this car

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
wow your havving some problems there mate know how you feel , had my rover a few month and replaced loads of stuffd about ready to set it on fire and push it off a cliff

·
Registered
585 Posts
bjorn toulouse said:
Guys, the tale of woe with this car is extencive, since Febuary Its been totaly sha**ed.

Problem - intermitent (once every 3-12 seconds drop in revs at idle)

The latest attempt to fix it was replacing the inlet manifold gasket. This cured the problem for a day but a week later the fault is back.

any ideas? what could cause the gasket to blow?

so far in search of a solution I have...
replaced
exaust valves
coil pack
head gasket
ht leads
plugs
inlet manifold gasket

god I hate this car
Your not alone with this problem my 1600 Rover 45 does the same mind you I've not gone as far as to change the head gasket and valves - yet!
see these threads...
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=126266
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=131202
they may offer more help. The latest suggestion is the crank sensor.

I presume that this intermittent drop in revs does not show on the tacho and that you can just feel it through your foot.

·
Registered
mgf
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting reading,
With mine you can see the the drop in rev's on the tacho. It idles at 800 then it will dip to 200 if this happens say 3 times within a 2 sec period it stalls but it usualy once every 12 or so seconds (random) as soon as the revs go above 1500 its fine unless you are in the wrong gear.

Its driving me mad.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know the feeling, but yours deff appears to be a more physical drop, on mine you only feel it you don't see it, it's more a hiccup. A friend of mine's wife has a TF and he has got the same style of hiccup as mine. I'm only hoping mine doesn't get worse. My old Rover 416 was exactly the same.

Best of luck I'll let you know if I come up with a solution on mine.

Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
check the ecu unit i had it go on my astra exact same prob take it to a garage thatt can do the diagnostics that will sort it.

·
Registered
mgf
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
took it to a dealer,

mmm
oil temp guage fault
ambient air temp fault
water temp fault
internal voltage fault
by the way can't reset them
if you wan't us to lookat it £360 to start with cos it's a vvc the first thing we do is check the timing...
PS £80 for the diagnostrics

I kid you not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts