MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car this afternoon, and found out that the infa red sensor that sits above the dash for the steering wheel controls is missing! :err:

When i put my hand near the infa red on the sterio, the controls worked, and when i took my hand away it didnt.

So does anyone actually know where i can get one of these from? P.S. there was a stray wire behind the radio, iirc is gren/red or similr and which i assume is for this..

Can anyone help me please? :D

Regards

Stu C

·
Registered
rover_75
15 Posts
Hi!We used to get this alot, particularly on earlier models.As the stereo works when you put your hand near, it means the infra red wire is there, just in the wrong place. (some were like that)on the underside of the 'eyebrow' grey trim there is a removable black plastic trim. carefully pull that off, (it's only clipped) and the infra red wire should be there. reposition it to the opposite side of where it's sited and ensure it's in it's correct position. reclip the trim and it SHOULD work.hope this helps.RegardsRyan

·
Registered
242 Posts
I removed my Kenwood KRC 394 today to replace it with later model KDC W3537 everything is fine except steering control wont work, I could find no obvious wire to connect to new unit as there was not one fitted to the old, although the controls worked fine on that.
Behind unit I found (as above) stray red/grn wire also a very fine blk wire no other obvious strays:doh:
Please help!!!!!

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
Got my car this afternoon, and found out that the infa red sensor that sits above the dash for the steering wheel controls is missing! :err:

When i put my hand near the infa red on the sterio, the controls worked, and when i took my hand away it didnt.

So does anyone actually know where i can get one of these from? P.S. there was a stray wire behind the radio, iirc is gren/red or similr and which i assume is for this..

Can anyone help me please? :D

Regards

Stu C
I have a whole replacement unit with all wires... fully working. PM me

·
Registered
126 Posts
The infra red wire will have a small plastic cover on the end of it which houses the sensor and fits into the underside of the eyebrow. The eyebrow has slots on both the left and right hand side but I found with mine that if the sensor is too close or too far away it will not work. Hence it only worked in the right hand side or the eyebrow as you look at it. (the passengers side). The wire on my sensor is gray although yours may vary.

If it has come loose which does happen you will have to remove the eye brow and stereo housing to locate it.

On the underside of the eyebrow there is a removable trim. On the front edge you will find small gaps that enable you to get a small screw driver or suchlike in to remove this.

Then two screws in the top of the eyebrow secure it to the stereo housing. The eyebrow then slides out forwards.

Then remove the two screws in the top right and left of the plastic stereo housing. I advise using a magnetic screw driver and be careful as the screws can fall down the back of the console if you are not careful.

Then simply put your fingers in the small compartment at the top of the unit ( used for little storage area) lift a little to get the bottom clips over the frame and gently pull towards you.

You may have to unplug the stereo, aerial wires etc to get the unit out enough to have a good look behind. Find the long thin one with the plastic bit on the end, feed it gently over the top of the unit and keep it there whilst refitting housing. after refit of the stereo and housing put slide the eyebrow back in ensuring this wire is still hanging there just below the eyebrow.

On the final bit of trim for the underside of the eyebrow you will see where this plastic sensor slides in. once in clip the eyebrow back under and jobs a goodun!

If you struggle let me know and i will go and take some pics for you.

Gandalf

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help :D im gonna have a play in a bit, see if i can find something out and report back!

Failing that, i can always get someone to help me tomorrow! ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got it! Grey wire with BLUE sensor, for some reason I was looking for a RED one. Never mind, job done. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys! :D took the top lip thingy out (sorry for the terminology! :O ) and found the grey wire with the Infra Red sensor on the right hand side, they had just shoved it in without thinking or checking anything worked.

Swapped it to the left, and all fully working :D

Regards

Stu C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts