MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving back from aberdeen to inverurie (about 16 miles) got about 2 miles before i noticed engine temp was rising and falling. Pulled into a shell garage to find a sht load of mayonase under the oil cap, all over the dipstick and no coolant just oily sluch in the coolant tank. Got it towed home but have now no idea what to do.

What is the general attitude to HGF?

Sell the car as scrap ?
Get it repaired ?
Sell parts individually?

Bearing in mind i am a student and part time trolly boy lol. Really dont want to see my car go tho.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Depends on your own circumstances really.

Scrap value - not much really, then you wont have a car, and I would doubt you'd get enough for another.

Get it repaired - looking in the region of £300-400 unless you know someone who can do it, as most of the cost is labour. Worth it if you like your car, and probably cheaper than buying another - dependant on condition.

Sell parts individually - possibly, but it will take a while to get enough money for another car. This is the way to go if you can do without your car for a bit.

Rich.

·
Registered
rover_25
188 Posts
hgf

driving back from aberdeen to inverurie (about 16 miles) got about 2 miles before i noticed engine temp was rising and falling. Pulled into a shell garage to find a sht load of mayonase under the oil cap, all over the dipstick and no coolant just oily sluch in the coolant tank. Got it towed home but have now no idea what to do.

What is the general attitude to HGF?

Sell the car as scrap ?
Get it repaired ?
Sell parts individually?

Bearing in mind i am a student and part time trolly boy lol. Really dont want to see my car go tho.
depending on how mechanically minded you are another option maybe to buy another engine from a breakers and fit it yourself you may even get a small guarantee so you can check the engine is ok,just a thought
by me there is a breaker that breaks fairly new cars as well as older ones and they use couriers as well to get you your parts
the name is car transplants 01270 627 919

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Fix it yourself on the front drive!

Head gasket kits on ebay are pennies - make sure you get new head bolts and you'll be fine.

Just get a haynes and follow the instructions! Easy as pie. Just make sure all the tools are available.

Cheers

Oli

·
Registered
378 Posts
get her fixed! at least you pulled over when your head gasket went, the fella that owned the one im looking at was only a few mile away from home so just drove on :lol:

completly cooked her

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fix it yourself on the front drive!

Head gasket kits on ebay are pennies - make sure you get new head bolts and you'll be fine.

Just get a haynes and follow the instructions! Easy as pie. Just make sure all the tools are available.

Cheers

Oli
i second that one, you dont need the car that bad and it would be alot cheaper, i just got a folder full of instructions on how to dismantle the k series engine, and it shows you how to change the head gasket and all that jazz, will drop it off at yours tonite

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it hasn't been done, change the head location spigots for metal ones and skim a few thou of the head (local machine shop - you don't need to remove the valves - cost about £40) just be sure that it's not going to happen again any time soon. With those simple jobs done, it should last for thoudsands and thousands more miles. Make sure you get a Unipart gasket, not a 'cheapie'.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
If it hasn't been done, change the head location spigots for metal ones and skim a few thou of the head (local machine shop - you don't need to remove the valves - cost about £40) just be sure that it's not going to happen again any time soon. With those simple jobs done, it should last for thoudsands and thousands more miles. Make sure you get a Unipart gasket, not a 'cheapie'.
I would certainly say give it a try yourself.. You can do it for less than £100.

DONT skim the head if it doesn't need it, no matter what others say, it removes the heat proof coating it has on it and is totally pointless and a waste of money. Have it checked to see if it is warped, if it is... then have it skimmed.

As for the gasket get the uprated Landrover one one here: (Works on the K series/freelander/lotus. Same one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREELANDER-ROVER-LOTUS-1-8-MODIFIED-HEAD-GASKET-OEM_W0QQitemZ150075682472QQcategoryZ31348QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

You can do it first time in a day sitting on your drive. Just make sure you know what caused it to fail in the first place but as a guide you should be looking to replace:

A)Cambelt and tensioner
B)Thermostat
C)Expansion tank cap
D)Water pump (Not always needed but as the belts off you may as well)

We can talk you through it, its not as big as people would have you believe.

PM me if you get stuck or want advice.

Sean

·
Registered
44 Posts
What's the view on changing the head bolts?
When I first got my 214Si I changed the head gasket, skimmed 0.006" off, fitted all new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc, even though the HG had not failed, but I was advised not to bother changing the bolts. However, this was rally preparation and since then we've done about 8 Endurance Rallies with, touchwood, total engine reliability. The only problem I have had which caused a retirement was when I went off and mud got into the engine bay and tore the power-steering belt off (that would be driver error, then!).

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
What's the view on changing the head bolts?
When I first got my 214Si I changed the head gasket, skimmed 0.006" off, fitted all new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc, even though the HG had not failed, but I was advised not to bother changing the bolts. However, this was rally preparation and since then we've done about 8 Endurance Rallies with, touchwood, total engine reliability. The only problem I have had which caused a retirement was when I went off and mud got into the engine bay and tore the power-steering belt off (that would be driver error, then!).
Depends really, a lot change them but again there is no need if they a measured and no more than 1 needs replacing.

There again, if you consider what these bolts have to go through day to day it might be worth it but at £5 a bolt.. certainly increases your over all bill.

If new bolts are purchased, I would stay well clear of ebay, heard some horror stories of the bolts snapping when being torqued down.... That is something you don't want to happen!

I've done a couple of changes where I have used the original bolts. Again as long as you measure them, check the threads and condition and lightly coat in oil before putting them back in (In order) You will be fine.

Sean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so is the general opinion that the landrover gasket is the best?

Are there better gaskets and worse gaskets and if doing it myself what else needs to be changed.

Can we take apart ur fooked 200 to have a practice on friday hobbsmin?

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
so is the general opinion that the landrover gasket is the best?

Are there better gaskets and worse gaskets and if doing it myself what else needs to be changed.

Can we take apart ur fooked 200 to have a practice on friday hobbsmin?

Cheers
not this friday, im working, but aye we could give it a shot coz iv been meaning to strip that thing down and get as many useful parts of it as possible

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gettin the girlfriends uncle to do it for me. said he would take £300 including parts and if it needs skimmed. What do I ask him to change? Gonna go ask for timing belt while hes at it. Should i ask him to change the water pump, thermostat and hoses? Any idea how much a water pump and or thermostat will set me back.

Also what are the gaskets on moto-build.com like? Should I get the Landy one or a double sealed one?

Cheers Lewis

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
got car back but still a bit of oil in the coolant? is this normal? Got everything changed eg water pump, cambelt, filters, bolts for £360 and a bottle of single malt lol. should i fluch the oil and coolant again and if so after how long?

Is this worth a try? anyone any experience of using this?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b13s26p2914
Some of the folks on here advise not to put the coolant back in right away after a cyl head gasket replacement. They mix a little automatic washing powder up with water and run the engine for some days with this mixture to clean up the system. Drain again, flush once more with clean water, then fill with a 50% pre-mix of coolant.
Ensure when you flush the system and refill it you take all steps to remove air from the system, heater controls on full heat, and an open bleed screw etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts