MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know this has been asked many times, but when I searched I came up with lots of posibilites and few answers!

I realllly miss the roar of the K+N I had on my coop, and have one laying around so want to get it in the tf - Ideally I want it open for the noise (Cant aford a daytona just yet!), is it possible or even a good idea in a tf to do it? I know any gains will be minimal, but will I loose power? Is there anywhere I can get hold of a fitting kit? Im guessing fitting to the TB is a no no as per usual, but what bend would I need in there? I've read about mounting air intakes under the engine - are there kits for this?

cheers!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
It's possible but there will be a loss of power due to heat soak and the fact the stock induction on the TF is very good in the first place.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok thanks, so will I always loose power? in which case, is there any other way to get a similar effect sound wise without sacrificing power? trying to avoid the exhaust route at the mo, its free as far as I can tell to add to my insurance but I cant really spare that amount at the mo (cheapest I could find was generally around £400)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Have you disconnected the EVC at all??

I have on mine and since doing so my exhaust has got louder as it heats up and builds sut over time. By no means is it as loud as a stainless but it's a good effect for free! ;)

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah thanks for that, the EVC is the exhaust control valve? exhaust noise control valve? does it have any sort of negative effects on the exhaust? I'll look at that as soon when I get home if not :D

·
Registered
42,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
nothing at all, all the EVC valve does is help noise reduction at low revs. MGR introduced it to get by the EU drive by noise regs i believe...

Rob Bell's site tells how to in his site, IMO it makes a significant difference to the noise of the exhaust when it is hot! the hotter it is the louder it is, so after a motorway journey it sounds quite nice TBH! ;)

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/exhaust/TF_evc.htm

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tempting! dont have the money to burn though! if you've stilll got it in a month or so i'll definatley take it off your hands:)
In regards to the EVC valve, do I actually have one? it's a 2005 tf? just that I looked and nothing looked familliar

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
once the k&N is in theres definatly less torque but i would say its not a big loss in power , best thing ive bought for my tf. the sound is great and no too loud also! great for me as i do alot of motorway miles

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
once the k&N is in theres definatly less torque but i would say its not a big loss in power , best thing ive bought for my tf. the sound is great and no too loud also! great for me as i do alot of motorway miles
So the car is as quick as it was, but doesnt pull as well through the gears and when at speed?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
yeah still feels quick as it ever did. just feels like it spreads the power out more evenly, but without a rolling road cant really tell.

it's worth the buy i'd say as it's alot cheaper then other induction kits.

but i have made a few changes...

what i also did as i've heard roomers of power loss i actualy put a heat shield over the k&N. this covers about a 3rd of the filter. got this on ebay. as it doesn't cover the whole lot it doesn't make any change to the sound of it.

i also have 2 cold air feeds going to it, one in the passenger air vent and one undernieth the car.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might give it a try then, and play around with deanos plant pot idea.. At least if I find the losses too huge I can go back to standard.. Is the distance from the induction to the TB too far if I relocated it somehow? eg if I managed to have the induction cone nearer to a side vent or something?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My Pipercross Viper gives similar K&N growls but as it is an enclosed filter i have put the cold air feed to the passenger side intake so the noise comes from there really. This coupled with a De-cat makes even the standard TF trophy backbox sound loudish, overall i was quite surprised.
I will be swapping back to my Janspeed or a TT if anyone is selling one! (hint hint) :)
The Janspeed is at least twice as loud!

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
go for it! i did find the k&N slighty big for the engine bay i had to tilt the kit down abit to be able to put the parcel shelf back in! but wasn't exactly a problem.

depends how much money you've got to spend for for an enclosed one if you have the money if not buy a plant pot!!(deano ur famous!) :hyper:

(Selling alloys on ebay! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=290104490391&rd=1&rd=1 )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts