MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a ZT-T 190+ and need to get a 15K service done.

Is there anything on a ZT-T that would require equipment/expertise of a former MGR dealer or a will a good independant garage do the service just as well ?

I have used a small local garage for other cars, and find them to be trustworthy, efficient and cost effective - I would like to continue using them however, they have no experience of ZT's.

Any comments?

·
Registered
21 Posts
jcooper said:
Recently bought a ZT-T 190+ and need to get a 15K service done.

Is there anything on a ZT-T that would require equipment/expertise of a former MGR dealer or a will a good independant garage do the service just as well ?

I have used a small local garage for other cars, and find them to be trustworthy, efficient and cost effective - I would like to continue using them however, they have no experience of ZT's.

Any comments?
Same situation but for a 2.0l v6 Tourer.

Michael

·
Registered
783 Posts
I gave my independent a copy of this and he was more than happy. Mind - mine's the 4-pot. Am I right in thinking that for belt changes on the V6 there are some special tools used to maintain the position of the crank?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
selwonk said:
I gave my independent a copy of this and he was more than happy. Mind - mine's the 4-pot. Am I right in thinking that for belt changes on the V6 there are some special tools used to maintain the position of the crank?
I believe you are correct doc dave or senor Lates will confirm, otherwise use of the T4 testbook for some things and checking if any faults have been registered, so a visit to a main dealer or such just to get that part done would be minimal cost.

MM

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use an independent for my ZR servicing but they were a main MG/ROVER dealer untill B*W took over 7 & had the dealer cull.They are really good & 1/2 the price my main dealer used to charge but sadley they are no longer around.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
If the independant knows MGR cars then fine if not typical things to remind them about are the type of anti freeze to use and for the CDT oil quantity (which is higher than most cars) etc i.e If they know what they are doing fine but if they seem unsure go somewhere else

Last thing you want is some PFY learning on your car

·
Registered
36 Posts
mmcomputing said:
Have a look at the service schedule and decide for yourself :)

Click me to Download service check list

It should be back up on the club site when someone has the time to do it, meanwhile you can download it by clicking on the link above.

MM
Anybody know where I can get the service check sheets for a 75 CDT. I have lost my copies and I thought there was thread for them but can't find it.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
If the independant knows MGR cars then fine if not typical things to remind them about are the type of anti freeze to use and for the CDT oil quantity (which is higher than most cars) etc i.e If they know what they are doing fine but if they seem unsure go somewhere else

Last thing you want is some PFY learning on your car
I agree,I have a non MGR workshop working on my car,but one of the guys is from the UK and knows the 75s pretty well,but the point is well made, make yourself conversant via the forum with the things that are above and beyond normal cars servicing,as mentioned -high grade coolant type,specific auto transmission fluid etc) I think there are many car issues on this forum that probably would not have occured if some owners and mechanics took the time to find out a bit more about these cars.They require the right parts and fluids to run trouble free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many thanks for all your comments. They will certainly help when sevice time comes.

My independant garage has looked after most of my cars, the last one being a '95 Mondeo, but the Rover sems to be a little more scary under the bonnet.

Best wishes

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts