MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends volunteered to change my spark plugs. Over tightened one of them sheared the plug right off. Left the threads in the block. I'm really screwed now. What next?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Reasoning behind my methods are if you do manage to extract the broken plug where will any swarf or broken pieced end up ? Best off removing it, clean any debris and its also easier to remove the broken part from the underside.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You could, a proper clean up make sure the valves are still nice and seating etc but a good shop should check anyway-see if its still true etc.

look at it this way you've got a change to put the new style headgasket, oil ladder and stretch bolts in-so problem avoided !!!!! If you already had it proceed to cry and lynch your ex-friend

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but is it possible to cut a slot into the remaining piece (with a dremel or something similar), and get a screwdriver in it and turn it out? Feel free to flame that idea btw. :lol:

If you do go down the head removal route, look at it as a good opportunity to upgrade to the new landrover gasket and oil rail. :D

Rich.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reasoning behind my methods are if you do manage to extract the broken plug where will any swarf or broken pieced end up ? Best off removing it, clean any debris and its also easier to remove the broken part from the underside.
I suppose i'd really want to leave it to the pro just incase as you say if anything goes pear shaped don't want to make things worse. Have pretty much all the tools would be much happier if someone who knew what they were doind were around as well

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't had any of those things done so maybe it would be right thing to do to prevent any problems as you say. Close to crying but girlfriend filling me full of beer trying to console me ha ha

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No gararge unfortunately in a estate open to elements. Base of plug (thread part) still in block everything else came clean off. Would appreciate help to get it done alright

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
OK, as has been mentioned it's a head off job, so you will need to factor in the cost of a new gasket (whichever type), head bolts and whether you want to change the water pump, cambelt and tensioner.

Until the head comes off you won't know if it's salvageable, the threads for that particular plug could be knackered.

I don't believe a head with damaged plug threads can be re-tapped and I'm unsure if a Helicoil insert is durable.

I had a similar problem on a lawn mower engine, I was able to drill into the electrode side of the plug and weld a bolt to it, loosen the plug, cut the head off the bolt and remove the lot.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I bought a D series coupe with one broken plug in, whipped off the head then decided to take the others out in which another one broke.
The engineering firm chose to helicoil it and it was good as new when done.I dont mind carrying out a helicoil repair but preferred to let them do it on a critical component. Iirc they can sometimes spark erode the broken piece out.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I have access to a good engineering company through a friend, indeed if any work of that nature was required it would be off to them.

The lawn mower was worth the risk!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts