MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys ive just fitted so iam told a mood light it looks ok thinking about lighting up footwells so what would be best lights for job and also is it worth lighting rear footwells to pics and info all welcome

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have got a full interior lighting set up and have experimented with neons and LED's. I have got 2 TRON's in the front footwells and 2 purple NEONS in the rear footwells, The roof light has been replaced with a GEM and there is a FLOOD over the rear seats. The odometer lighting has been changed from orange to blue and the clock lighting from orange to purple. All the air vents are illuminated, all the switchegear has been replaced for blue illuminated switches, the gear knob is illuminated, the gear surround is illuminated, the cassette storage area is illuminated and the engine bay is illuminated as well.

So you can see there I have done a few small modifications to the interior lights (oh I forgot, the rear view mirror has been replaced with one from an MG-F as that is also illuminated)

So IMHO this is the way I see things. Neons tend to be not as bright as LED's but give a softer more even spread of light. They can also work out cheaper if you compare them to some of the light bars that are on the market. Another drawback of neaons is that they can draw more current as they have to have an inverter to power them and they do tend to be a little fragile. They also take a fewminutes to reach full brightness.

LED's or even better LED light bars are much more robust, use very little power, can be got in lots and lots of different colours ( the ones I have from IceLed can show any of over 2 million different colours and patterns), are very bright and are instantaneous. Also as long as you get a decent set (and there are a lot of cheap and nasty imports coming in from China, just look round e-bay) they have a very long working life.

Because of the high currents used with neosn by the inverters thay can also cause some electromagnetic interference if put too close to amps.head units/power cables/speaker leads etc.

If you take a trip over to the IceLed site or to the litewave site then there are lots of examples of different light installs, but here are a few pics of mine. Let me know if you want any more info?

Here is a little movie of some of my lights in action click here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts