MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Owner of a ZR for a few years now .. i d love to get my hands on a TF
Been looking around for 2nd hands in Ireland .. there are a few,not many tho ( low mileage, 04-05 )

In your opinion, would it be worth considering buying in the UK/importing ? Considering VRT cost and all the fun associated with it ...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi All,

Owner of a ZR for a few years now .. i d love to get my hands on a TF
Been looking around for 2nd hands in Ireland .. there are a few,not many tho ( low mileage, 04-05 )

In your opinion, would it be worth considering buying in the UK/importing ? Considering VRT cost and all the fun associated with it ...
Prices of TFs in Ireland have more than recovered since the collapse of MGR in April 2005. It would probably be worth your while investigating a used TF in the UK, if you don't mind the hassle of paying VRT and having zilch comeback if something goes wrong (a big drawback IMO). You're looking to pay €18k minimum for a decent 2004 model in Ireland. Beware that most of the TFs here are 1.6 (115 model) which has a VERY basic spec. You'd be much better off looking around for one of the 1.8 versions - either the 135 or, if you can afford the insurance, a 160.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Irish TF.
You re right, i d be looking at a 1.8 probably a 135, but that narrows it down even more to what i can find out there :-/
Maybe worth waiting for the new Tf's to hit production :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
--

hey guys,

I just noticed this 160 on carZone
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=768552

What do you think ?
looks pretty nice to me .. might head down to see it this week.
Any advice on what to look out for ?

Also i understand the 4 years service (wich would be due about now for this car is it hasn t been done ) can be quite expensive with the Cambelt change etc .. any idea on the kind of prices i should expect for a Tf 160 in Ireland ?

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:( someone got it before i got to it
so if anyone knows of one .. i m on the look out for a TF 160 (vvc) , 2004 or after, max 30k , Black

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll sell you mine :)

Mine's 2005 (one of the last from the production line) finished in Pearl Black with a Grenadine interior and Alcantara seats. I've owned it from new but not thinking of selling it yet - still enjoy driving it too much.

One word of warning: the 160 (VVC) is MUCH more expensive to insure than any of the other variants. I've had an MGF and a TF, and both times I went for the standard 1.8 because the insurance difference was too much to justify the slightly-quicker 0-60 time. You really are hard pushed to tell the difference in the TF between the 135 and the 160. My insurance quote was literally double for the VVC model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
slightly-quicker 0-60 time. You really are hard pushed to tell the difference in the TF between the 135 and the 160. .
134 Bhp vs 160 Bhp
0-60 in 8.2 sec. Vs 6.9

That s more than a slight difference if you ask me .. :)
Did you own/drove both ?

As for the insurance .. i got quotes for both and the difference is 100€ so not a big deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts