MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it the last few weeks, I've been hearing that Pencelli is fully booked, when about 2 mins ago I was happily booking myself there with everyone else without any hint they are full?

Anyone care to explain?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
It’s not so much as the campsite but the maximum permitted size of group and the impact a large group can have on the enjoyment of others on the site.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s not so much as the campsite but the maximum permitted size of group and the impact a large group can have on the enjoyment of others on the site.
Thats fair enough, but if peolpe have been telling me its booked up, why didn't Mr. Pencelli man say anything?
I suppose he wants my business.
Oh, and btw Chris. I didn't have to front up a deposit! :dddc:

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps they just don't trust anyone called Chris :(
Nothing like a bit of prejudice! :lol:
I'm looking forward to it now! :hyper:

I've been told part of the reason for a limited number going was down to a scenic drive up a hill or something.
I don't plan on gonig for a scenic drive, I plan on drinking beer and lazing about :rvd:

EDIT: 8,000 posts! Woop! :rvd:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hi Stiff,

this is an event that I organise each year with Phil through the FPower website. We limit the number of cars on the campsite as we have a very good relationship with the campsite owners and don't want to spoil that. MGF/TF's sound a lot more noisey through canvas and were not the only ones on the site!

We also limit the amount of cars on the run otherwise it get very out of hand on the narrow welsh roads!

We limit the number of people attending becasue of the things we have planned ie Pub lunch / BBQ etc.

We've been doing this for a number of years and it's become very popular, this is why this year we've capped the numbers.

It has been closed on FPower and David Morris' site (the welsh side of it) for a number of weeks, and we have already had to turn people away who tried to book too late :sad2: .

Why is it the last few weeks, I've been hearing that Pencelli is fully booked, when about 2 mins ago I was happily booking myself there with everyone else without any hint they are full?

Anyone care to explain?
So your explanation is, Pencelli isn't full, the event is! ;)

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
So can anyone who booked their place, after it was declared full, on Fpower, not attend the BBQ, pub lunch, etc? :err:

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Stiff,

this is an event that I organise each year with Phil through the FPower website. We limit the number of cars on the campsite as we have a very good relationship with the campsite owners and don't want to spoil that. MGF/TF's sound a lot more noisey through canvas and were not the only ones on the site!

We also limit the amount of cars on the run otherwise it get very out of hand on the narrow welsh roads!

We limit the number of people attending becasue of the things we have planned ie Pub lunch / BBQ etc.

We've been doing this for a number of years and it's become very popular, this is why this year we've capped the numbers.

It has been closed on FPower and David Morris' site (the welsh side of it) for a number of weeks, and we have already had to turn people away who tried to book too late :sad2: .

Fairy fluff.
Still, I'm going now ner ner! :lol:
I don't plan on going for a drive up "perilous" roads I don't know! Thats for loonies! :errx2: That and I'd much sooner sit with a beer and have a nice chat within a group than go driving up a hill with only one person to talk to.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think F/TFs are any noisier than most other cars. Its just that half of use fit louder exhausts! :devil2:

RE: Pub lunch type things.
Wouldn't it a better idea to stagger the groups that want to go for lunch?
For example, instead of one group of 50 going at 1pm, have two groups of 25 going at different times?
Maybe this isn't possible. I don't know.

Another idea..
Do Pencelli allow for you to use your own BBQ?
I'm happy to cook for about 4/5 tents worth of people if I can use my own BBQ.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
last year we had 17 people camping and it was just manageable. This year we limited to 18. We currently have 22, with Stiff that's 23. :eek:mg2:

That's not including the extra's who are booked in for the BBQ and run.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
Hi Stiff,

roughly translated............ they didnt want u there stiff. ;):broon:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Fairy fluff.

RE: Pub lunch type things.
Wouldn't it a better idea to stagger the groups that want to go for lunch?
For example, instead of one group of 50 going at 1pm, have two groups of 25 going at different times?
Maybe this isn't possible. I don't know.

Another idea..
The whole point of the weekend has been an intimate gathering of friends to relax, enjoy the area and each others company, splitting the lunch kind of defeats the object.

Yes we all cook our own food on our own BBQ's, but we will have about 30 people at that, we are on a shared campsite and we don't want to annoy the other guests.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I think that's the idea anyway.. a "cook your own, eat together" BBQ.

Folks get themselves into little groups, and use one (or a couple) of those little disposable BBQs :broon:

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The whole point of the weekend has been an intimate gathering of friends to relax, enjoy the area and each others company, splitting the lunch kind of defeats the object.

Yes we all cook our own food on our own BBQ's, but we will have about 30 people at that, we are on a shared campsite and we don't want to annoy the other guests.
That reads as if you think I'm going to pee on other peoples tents! :lol:

I can understand you not wanting to upset the campsite owners and other patrons, but we are all adults. We can have fun and relax without the need be on a leash.

I'm looking forward to this weekend as some friends of mine are going, and I like camping. The last I want is to think that I am ruing another persons/familys time by being too rowdy. I think a lot of other people that are going will feel the same.

Like I said, we are all adults. I'm sure if you ask nice enough for some help in certain areas, people will only be to happy to oblige :)

Now, stop stressing about it and start looking forward to it! :broon:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
It's not so much the other guests I'm worried about upsetting, it's the 3 couples and 2 singles we've already refused to come along as this event is full ;) - some of which are on this site.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Stiff,

The campsite is not full as you have pointed out, thanks. The event, however, is full. End of.

As has previously been mentioned we have a very good relationship with Pencelli from previous years. The fact that they allow us to do this event despite their usual 'no group bookings' policy is testiment to this. Due to the numbers attending last year we decided to impose the limit this year in an attempt to keep the party to a manageable number. We are not a rowdy bunch and I am not implying that you are but by it's very nature the more people in a group chatting the louder that group will be. The last thing we want is for other campers to complain and us not be allowed back again.

The pub we visit for lunch in not a big place, and there are others in the area that want to make use of it so for us to book two large sittings would be very unfair on others not associated with our group; another reason we limited numbers.

The BBQ is not an issue as everyone will be cooking for themselves or in small groups this year.

The run is full. This is limited to 20 cars and those 20 are the first 20 on the list on the FPower site. which is as follows.

Lorna & Phil Brindley
Petevick
KeithW
Steve W
Stu Dickins
Chris T
John & Lyn
TimF + 1
Dave & Evelyn (yeay camping this year!)
Jeanette and Alan
James C (& Andie B)
Floozy
Nigel H (I've got a chair!)
Mike + Jan
Loaky
Chris & Helen (confirmed with site, just need to book time off with work)
Andrew & Elinor (visit and run)
Greyfox (visit & run)
trudyN & Digby (visit and run)
Jerry & Diane (visit & run)

We have applied for an MSA certifcate for this run and stated that there will be a maximum of 20 cars. It is possible that, like last year, some of the people coming on their own will share the run as driver and passenger in a single car. If this is the case then obviously the extra space will be available to anyone else that is there. Sorry Dee, but if this is the case you will not be able to be part of the run as you will not be covered under the MSA certificate.

The pub lunch is not yet booked so hopefully there will not be a problem getting a couple of extras in; we'll let you know as soon as we do.

Sorry to sound a little heavy handed here but we declared the event full a few weeks ago, as, in our eyes, it was. Those of you that did not get in before this unfortunately may miss out on some of the aspects of this event.

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Sorry Dee, but if this is the case you will not be able to be part of the run as you will not be covered under the MSA certificate.
Not a problem for me Phil.. I didn't intend/want to do the run anyway :)
If the pub lunch is full, I'm perfectly happy to do my own thing then too.

I'm one of the folks who booked after the event was declared full (didn't know if I'd be able to make before then, because of treatment, etc), and to be honest, I've half a mind to cancel my place now. It seems to be causing more hassle than it's worth, and I don't want to be upsetting folks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.