MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my F for about 3 months and as it does not have an adjustable steering wheel and is set quite low I have to drive bow legged and can't touch my knees in the middle. Is there a solution to this as it can be quite dangerous as my legs try to steer sometimes. Would for example lowering the seat make any difference

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
You can get lowering springs for the F’s seats or get hold of some seats from a TF but in either case I am not sure how much it will help.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Chris T said:
You can get lowering springs for the F’s seats or get hold of some seats from a TF but in either case I am not sure how much it will help.
IIRC its about 20mm......... not much but could be enough!!..

*Shows great restraint in not posting the obvious comment*

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it much of a job do you know ?- easy and cheap's what i like as i have to share my jobs with my 2 year old boy !!

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I'm the same height and find the TF to be fine, but without the lowering for the F seats, and no adjustable steering column, I'm not sure how much beter you'll find it.

Trade in for a TF? :)

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Depends how long your respective pairs of legs are though doent it, One of you may have a longer body and shorter legs, or a really long....

head!!!

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
scuzza said:
I've had my F for about 3 months and as it does not have an adjustable steering wheel and is set quite low I have to drive bow legged and can't touch my knees in the middle. Is there a solution to this as it can be quite dangerous as my legs try to steer sometimes. Would for example lowering the seat make any difference

Have you got really long legs?... I'm 6'2 and have to drive a bit more bent legged than I used to drive other cars, but I've got used to it now...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the exact opposite problem - I am 5 foot tall and have great diffculty reaching the clutch and/or seeing over the top! My cushion helps but it's still a strain reaching for the clutch!

·
Registered
123 Posts
6'1" here and no problems with the TF. My legs are quite close to the steering wheel, but even on a long drive it's absolutely fine. I thought the F and TF had very similar driving positions...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the TF has an adjustable steering wheel though right ? - My MGF has a set position which is low

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
scuzza said:
the TF has an adjustable steering wheel though right ? - My MGF has a set position which is low
Also the F has it ... IIrc it was fitted since the MK2 / MY2000

Curgy said:
Trade in for a TF? :)
ts ts ts :p

:bgrin:

Edit: I am 6'11" (or so ;) ), MK1 and no problems at all

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my F is 1998 and the adjustable steering wheel had not come out then - it came out as people my height and taller where finding it too tight to drive. Nothing wrong with the headroom. I may try the seat lowering - does anybody know if it's a simple hour or two job ?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
685 Posts
scuzza said:
Can I ask the obvious question 'why did you buy a car you don't fit in'?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
scuzza said:
I may try the seat lowering - does anybody know if it's a simple hour or two job ?
Hi
I did mine a year or so ago, 1+hours as I recall. Just need to de-arm the seats & take them out. Getting the new springs in is a bit of fun but once you've got the nack it's OK. It does make a difference but not at once as it takes time for the new springs to strech a little.

HTH

MikeS

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay - easy on the over reactions.....I do fit but i'm a big fella in a small car so expect it to be tight...simply asking if there's any way to make it a little more comfortable.

As for the 6ft 8 man - do you have an adustable steering wheel ? - if not then all i can say is you either have a freakishly long body or 1" thick legs that go under the steerling wheel !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts