MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have an issue with the ignition on my 02' ZR.

When I turn the key to POS III nothing happens. I have narrowed it down to the switch/barrel because I can force a live to the ignition wire (red/white) and it starts perfectly, also I've put a live directly to the starter motor and it starts the car fine. All of this also proves that the problem is not with the immobilisor (Clifford 950) which people keep trying to blame! Anyway, my question is a simple one. I have been told that it is possibly the ignition switch and bad contacts with the POS III. Can I get a new switch or is it a whole new barrel? I really want to avoid having a different key for the ignition if I can. In the meantime I can start it fine using a wire lol but really need some advice on this switch mallarky!

Thanks,

Alex.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I think it comes as a job lot. You can if you know your key number order a new to match your key. On the other hand you could get a whole lock set for the car. I know with the Metro/100 and early MK2 200's and Mk1 400's the switch was seprate but you would have to buy the whole lock unit just for the wiring. Take the cover off it's only three screws on the lower section then it pop's off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts