MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my MGTF 135 from new in 2003. Only use it April -September.
Horn has not being working but does on setting alarm off.
Took car to garage I use for 2 other cars in family and asked to get horn working,to give car oil change and carry out mot .
Eventually got horn to work. Total bill £250 approximately
Brought car home ready for a clean and to go back on road April 1
From that point.No life in car.Have had battery on a trickle charge although it may be time to change battery.
Called garage who came out and said it must be a problem with the relay board ! Having sent it away to have it checked re.horn !
Have taken relay back to garage and that is situation as at today !
Any help and advice would be good.
I spoke with a contact I have on LinkedIn - Roger Parker and he advised about the horn to work on something at the base of the steering column.
This was also done on my first visit to garage.
I will await response from anyone who can ‘get my car going again’
n.b. Car is Sept 2003 with 28,000 on clock.Has not had head gasket attended to after I received convincing advice from Roger Parker that from vin number this car was post head gasket problems ! Excellent advice !

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,408 Posts
..... Car is Sept 2003 with 28,000 on clock.Has not had head gasket attended to after I received convincing advice from Roger Parker that from vin number this car was post head gasket problems ! Excellent advice !
Well, that's total cobblers for a start. I would not bother taking any more advice from someone who is very obviously clueless! There were only minor changes made to the cylinder head gasket fitted to MG Rover built MGFs and TFs over their production lifetime, and none showed any sign of having any significant (or measurable) impact on head gasket failure rates. HGF still happened at much the same rate regardless, Neither did fitting the pressure relief thermostat from 2003 make any discernable difference.

Only the Chinese built TFs (built from 2007) can be considered free of premature HGF issues - they have the reworked version of the K series engine, known as the N series and having a completely different design of head gasket (6-layer MLS).

Called garage who came out and said it must be a problem with the relay board !
Sounds as though they haven't much idea either! Not quite sure what they mean by "relay board"?

If the electrics are completely dead, (even with a charged battery fitted), the most likely cause is a poor connection (battery earth leads to the bodywork are a favourite for this, along with alternator and starter motor connectors). If the battery has experienced sudden death (and it is fairly common for some modern batteries to die very suddenly and be completely flat, even though they may have successfully started the engine only a short time ago), fitting a brand new battery may be all that is needed. Trickle charging a completely flat and dying battery will take days to put anything significant into it.

The only other thing that springs to mind that would cause totally dead electrics is that a main fuse/fusible link may have blown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re.The Head Gasket : The information I received was from the ex Technical Director of MG. He could actually tell me that my car was car no.336 after Head Gasket issues were resolved !
I may go down the path of investing in a new battery. Have checked out relevant fuse which also does airbag.Tried a new fuse ! Nothing ! So will have checked connections to alternator and starter motor.
Anyway thanks for your valued assistance.
Alan

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
When you turn on the ignition (without trying to start the car) do you hear the fuel pump run?

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,408 Posts
Re.The Head Gasket : The information I received was from the ex Technical Director of MG. He could actually tell me that my car was car no.336 after Head Gasket issues were resolved !
Regardless, he is completely wrong about this.

The K series HGF issue was NOT resolved at all during the existance of either Rover Group or MG Rover.

Premature head gasket failures were a constant issue right up to the very last cars that MG Rover produced (I have one myself - built 6th April 2005; bought with HGF at 6 years old/40k miles). Whilst MGR tried all sorts of tweaks to overcome the issue, there was never any measurable difference in the failure rate of the last cars built in 2005 compared with the earlier ones.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,604 Posts
Yep. My TF is a 2004 and the head gasket went at about 50,000 miles. Man In The Car is completely right, your TF does not have any immunity to head gasket failure and they tend to go (funnily enough) at around about 50,000 miles. Obviously some last longer, some go quicker.

Regarding your horn, assuming the horn itself is OK (easy to test with 12V applied) there is a small box called (I forget) either the BCU (Body Control Unit) or SCU? (Security Control Unit) down behind the heater controls at the back of the central console. You can see it and get to it from the driver's footwell, if you're double-jointed.

It has about five dual relays on the circuit board inside (i.e. ten independent actual relay contacts) which control a variety of body electrical functions, one of which is the horn IIRC. These relays were poor quality and tend to fail. At least a couple of mine failed, one of which was for the horn. The solution is to (battery should be disconnected first) disconnect the BCU from its connector, undo the retaining strap, remove the unit, prise the lid off, extract the circuit board then replace the relays. It's not worth doing just the ones that have failed, replace the lot, as they will probably all fail in time.

You can get the relays off Ebay as a kit for this very MG TF problem. One chap who will supply them goes by the name of Technozen (real name Paul) but he appears difficult to get hold of. Or he will take the unit and do them for you if your soldering/desoldering skills are not in the advanced category.

Note that, if yours is a Pektron keyfob car (I think 2003 is) with the oval keyfob, then the ECU can get into a corrupted state if the battery goes flat, and it can be a pain to coax back into life. It can either render the car a bit lifeless and unresponsive or it can invoke the engine cut-out (which will allow the car to start for one second then cut the fuel and not allow any retires within about 8 minutes). The simplest thing to try would be to disconnect and reconnect the battery positive terminal umpteen times until it gets a good 'reboot'. You'd think that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it once would be enough to reset things but oddly enough, no. It's a bit of a lottery as I have found out. Took me two dozen reconnections one time after a flat battery to get it to wake up properly.

Not saying that's your problem, but it certainly can happen to Pektron key fob TFs which have been allowed to have their battery run flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thank you for that.Very time consuming for you but thanks all the same.The battery is due for a change and the Horn now works.Setting the security code on the drivers door lock has also caused some problems.
I will talk to a friend of mine tomorrow who knows more about cars than I do.
Thanks again
Alan Davies

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
As nocturnblue mentions your vehicle being Sept 2003 will likely have a Pektron alarm/relay system, easily check as the alarm fob will be oval and originally (if missing) had an mg badge in the centre. Relays on these are notoriously poor and that's enough said on them as its already been mentioned.

You need to find out what the garage did to get your horn working, my brother has a 2003 TF with the Pektron system and when he bought it there was a button to use the horn by the dash, somewhere down the line someone had botched 3 relays into the system to bypass the pektron unit to get the horn working, all he did was trace all the wiring back and removed it all, got five relays off ebay and changed them all at the same time...no point changing one as the others will fail. There is a possibility the garage you took it to has done a work around (technical term for botch) and their work around has caused the issue.

Forgot to add....You don't mention if the engine turns over or it does nothing. if it turns over ignore the following, if it doesn't turn over or there is a click you could have an issue with the starter motor not getting power, the small spade connector cable which provides the kick to the solenoid to turn the starter is a common problem, usually a quick wiggle of the connector, which can be accessed from the boot will be enough to get the connection working....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have had my MGTF 135 from new in 2003. Only use it April -September.
Horn has not being working but does on setting alarm off.
Took car to garage I use for 2 other cars in family and asked to get horn working,to give car oil change and carry out mot .
Eventually got horn to work. Total bill £250 approximately
Brought car home ready for a clean and to go back on road April 1
From that point.No life in car.Have had battery on a trickle charge although it may be time to change battery.
Called garage who came out and said it must be a problem with the relay board ! Having sent it away to have it checked re.horn !
Have taken relay back to garage and that is situation as at today !
Any help and advice would be good.
I spoke with a contact I have on LinkedIn - Roger Parker and he advised about the horn to work on something at the base of the steering column.
This was also done on my first visit to garage.
I will await response from anyone who can ‘get my car going again’
n.b. Car is Sept 2003 with 28,000 on clock.Has not had head gasket attended to after I received convincing advice from Roger Parker that from vin number this car was post head gasket problems ! Excellent advice !
I had a similar issue a few years back, have you inspected fuse 19 underneath the steering wheel?
Here is the link to the lengthy but informative post which you may find useful No Turnover
Cheers, Kenny

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wonder if we will ever know if Alan Davies ever got the problem sorted and his car started?
He joined 10 days ago and was active for one and then radio silence!
Not sure about others but I hate to see threads not being completed...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts