MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
1) MG & Rover brands stay british, but dont improve much and continue as a normal brand

2) MG & Rover are purchased by a foreign manufacturer, investment is put into the company. The ending result is that MG has a bigger rang of cars, all sporty, with better engines with turbos etc and are up there with the likes of the nissan skyline and suparu impreza. Rover are established as an executive car, targetting company car sector.

Which would you choose?

It depends! If it was all handled from Wolfsburg then it would suck and would not be Rover. ( the Real Rover would then be Land Rover) However if it was British designed, built , but funded by VW Ford Whomever then I'd say it would be okay. To my mind the New Bentley's are nice, but have WAY too much German input to be real Bentley's.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Personally even with their financial troubles if I was Ford I'd by the MG name for 50 Million pound. Design the new ones at Gaydon and Expand the Aston Facility to build them and Bingo, a new Viable addition to PAG.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Stephen K. Hone said:
Personally even with their financial troubles if I was Ford I'd by the MG name for 50 Million pound. Design the new ones at Gaydon and Expand the Aston Facility to build them and Bingo, a new Viable addition to PAG.
You forget, Ford have Mazda, hence MX5, if they did buy MG the TF would be the first model to go!.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Marl.L said:
You forget, Ford have Mazda, hence MX5, if they did buy MG the TF would be the first model to go!.

Well to be honest neither you nor I know the answer to that question. However as the TF is mid engine it would possibly survive. Give it the rumoured Revised interior and a Few Mechanical modifications, add the TF GT into the mix and I think it would be great car for PAG dealers

·
Registered
989 Posts
mgRovers only real rival is vw. Both of these companies have executive cars but also have regular cars which are usually classed as the more premium cars in their sector.

i think a german company would be the best bet.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
xpower_boy said:
mgRovers only real rival is vw. Both of these companies have executive cars but also have regular cars which are usually classed as the more premium cars in their sector.

i think a german company would be the best bet.

Been there, done that, brought the T-Shirt!

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
Ford Are in Deep trouble, Bloomberg has their stock at Junk, GM is too. DC is sacking off the Smart and in no hurry for new kit. Japs don't care, VW is run by the same guy who got Rover into this to start with.

I keep saying this.........Who owns MG? and who Owns the debt of £400 miilion?

My thought are that WHEN MGR GO BELLY UP THE MG BAGDE RETURNS TO BMW. Who might well put it on the front of a sports car based on the Lenghted Mini platform and/ or 1 Series (Slow selling).

Rember BMW want Mini as a stand alone brand, Mini Dealerships, not BMW ones. Now there are only so many types of Mini, but throw in MG and Oh Yes Big seller.....World wide!
Mega

·
Registered
882 Posts
To me the skills and number of jobs sustained in this country is the important thing.

A foreign manufacturer may have the money to support a lot of workers, but for how long. They won't have our best interests at heart, and why should they?
BMW stripped Rover Group of its technology and ran.
VW will produce their new Bentley in Dresden ffs.

If UK investors don't have the stomach for continuing with the 75 and variants (inc RDX60) the best we can hope for is that a UK engineering consultancy will make a lot of money supporting Chinese production of the platform, with the possibility of a variant being made here.
MG could and should stay entirely British though.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mega said:
Ford Are in Deep trouble, Bloomberg has their stock at Junk, GM is too. DC is sacking off the Smart and in no hurry for new kit. Japs don't care, VW is run by the same guy who got Rover into this to start with.
I can't see MGR going back to BMW. For a start the workforce wouldn't want it, look at what happened to morale last time.

The Chinese, Proton, and city types with some imagination are the most likely suitors.
GM don't have a credible sporting brand, so maybe they would be interested too.

·
Registered
989 Posts
gnnw196 said:
I can't see MGR going back to BMW. For a start the workforce wouldn't want it, look at what happened to morale last time.

The Chinese, Proton, and city types with some imagination are the most likely suitors.
GM don't have a credible sporting brand, so maybe they would be interested too.
gm are in billions of debt. they wont buy a strruglling company as they wont have the money to put into it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
xpower_boy said:
gm are in billions of debt. they wont buy a strruglling company as they wont have the money to put into it.
If you rule out loss making manufacturers you are left with Toyota and small fry. VW are the biggest, but already have five brands, and Bernt P would have to make a grovelling apology for the 75 launch fiasco to gain any respect in the midlands.

·
Registered
989 Posts
i think a deal with proton would be good. i know its tried to happen before but rovers would then have access to lotus. how good would a lotus tuned zs be.

·
Registered
882 Posts
xpower_boy said:
how good would a lotus tuned zs be.
Probably no better than an MG tuned ZS. They got as close to the silk purse from the sows ear as is humanly possible.

If the ZS is laid to rest soon, it will be remembered as one of the very best handling FWD cars. Only the late Lotus Elan and Honda Integra Type R can compare.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
gnnw196 said:
If you rule out loss making manufacturers you are left with Toyota and small fry. VW are the biggest, but already have five brands, and Bernt P would have to make a grovelling apology for the 75 launch fiasco to gain any respect in the midlands.

Okay just to let you know why Japanese car companies have a lot more money in the bank than U.S. ones. (and perhaps European ones)

Take Toyota for example. Once an employee has retired they are no longer responsible for that person. The State takes over 100% I believe. Therefore in Japan, Toyota do not have to have a pension fund. Imagine if GM or Ford were not required to pay for retiree's pensions. We are talking about a massive amount of money here. Now you know why Toyota etc. have way more R&D expenditures. They can afford to have them!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Stephen K. Hone said:
Take Toyota for example. Once an employee has retired they are no longer responsible for that person. The State takes over 100% I believe.
It looks like the state will be responsible for MGR employee pensions too! In that respect, the P4 have just done enough...

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
IF the Brand returns to BMW FORGET LONGBRIDGE!
What they think is simple not important, they are sacked, over, finished!

If BMW make an MG it will be based on the lengthened Mini 2 Platform, a Midget.....Which will be built at Oxford.
Mega

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Mega said:
IF the Brand returns to BMW FORGET LONGBRIDGE!
What they think is simple not important, they are sacked, over, finished!

If BMW make an MG it will be based on the lengthened Mini 2 Platform, a Midget.....Which will be built at Oxford.
Mega
Mega, so, does Cowley (stop all this BMW Oxford nonsense) have sufficent capacity to produce another 100,000 cars ?

Does it have sufficent space to see more production lines installed, IF BMW move in, and IF BMW want to make the 75 and/or the 25 and/or the 45 ?

·
Registered
882 Posts
BMW have already demonstrated that they don't have the best interests of the workforce at heart.

If they do make another approach they should be told to eff off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What is the obsession of some people on these forums to get VAG to buy MGR? IT WON'T HAPPEN.

VAG have Seat as the sporty brand, even if they seem intent on making as many people carrier shape cars as possible. As for Rover, Audi have a far bettter reputation, there is simply no logic for trying to rescue Rover, as much as we would all love them to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts