MG-Rover.org Forums banner

If the 75 has to have a rebirth in a new company what should it be called?

• Austin Princess

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Wolseley

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Riley

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Morris

Votes: 7 9.6%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the 75 has to emerge under a new company with a new name what would you call it? Austin Princess, Wolseley, Riley, Vanden Plas, Morris?

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
B*W I am pretty sure own the Riley name. And I think Wolseley UK (i.e. Plumb Center; Build Center; Tool Centre etc.) now own all rights to the Wolseley name :(

Regards

John

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The end product would most likely be identical, so it would be a pointless act because people would know that it would be the same thing.

The only value in renaming the car would be if it were to be rebodied as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After the recent debacle and the plummeting sales (and the contributions of nice Mr Clarkson and his ilk) I think a fresh name and a fresh start ( with no old redundant designs) is the order of the day. Rover may soon be associated with cars mass produced in China - surely an insult to a beautiful quality motor car like the 75.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
SAIC own the CHINESE rights to the design of the car. Not the whole thing.

If they lose the Rover name, which they will (can't see BMW being happy if they lose their £500m!) then it should be a Morris. It would fit perfectly with MG and its a mass market name with a quality edge to it. 'Quality First' was their slogan for 40 years or so!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
SAIC own the intellectual property rights to what?

John

Most of the 75, 25 and 45 designs (except the Honda bits). I assume ths means that these designs can only be made use of under license from SAIC. It's a bit like Honda being asked by PVH if they could license the intellectual property rights to Honda designs used in the 45.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
podders said:
SAIC own the CHINESE rights to the design of the car. Not the whole thing.

If they lose the Rover name, which they will (can't see BMW being happy if they lose their £500m!) then it should be a Morris. Its a mass amrket name with a quality edge to it. 'Quality First' was their slogan for 40 years or so!
Nope BMW sanctioned SAIC to use it already. No doubt SAIC have signed a long term lease from BMW on the contract.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Any agreement for production of 45 would surely need to be between Honda and SAIC, with MG-Rover only involved because it would be their own licenced version of the Honda Civic that SAIC would be producing.

I also suspect that BMW wrote off that £500m back in May 2000, and probably only sold Rover to Pheonix because they were worried that if they were to have closed Longbridge, their reputation in the UK would have been severely tarnished.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I voted Morris, the way i see it is that the Rover brand is damaged beyond repair (in the eyes of Joe Public, not with enthusiasts) and can't now be used.

Call it a Morris, while at the same time emphasising the "Morris" part of "Morris Garages" when advertising the ZT variant

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
See, we used to give our cars proper names like 'Avenger' or 'Hunter' or 'Impaler' or 'Spitfire' (God forbid!), but the countries that lost the war all moaned. This is actually true - if you started a war and went on to later lose, it was considered bad form to give your cars even remotely agressive names so number nomenclature became the norm for the axis manufactures. BMW 750, MB C230, Fiat 130, Datsun 120Y are all examples of this, but their host governments actually had the gall to complain about the provocative names we were giving our home grown product, so softer names like 'Allegro' and 'Maxi' became the norm. This is actually true, though i suspect few will believe me.

DD

1 - 20 of 44 Posts