MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now I appear to be leaking gearbox oil.

I noticed a patch under my car of a greenish fluid, which seems to be coming from the gearbox, and according to my haynes manual, it's either the oil drain plug, or the oil level plug.

How many smackaroonies is this one gonna cost me? :(

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, it might not necessarily be the plugs, but could just be general leakage from the gearbox...that's not a good thing is it?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's a greenish yellow colour...and it's dripping off the gearbox, so I was assuming that's what it was...

the only other thing is that my fuel level has been dropping quite rapidly recently...but from what I can see, the fuel lines don't go near the gearbox...

but I could be wrong

·
Registered
rover_75
432 Posts
Smelling it is the way forward. Gear oil stinks (and if it's been leaking on your drive you'll smell it for months - been there done that). Petrol smells of, well, petrol...

If it is gear oil it could be the seals where the driveshafts go into the box.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Have you checked all your other levels? EG PAS level, engine oil level? Coolant etc. (Not oil, but if it drips down the back of an oily engine block it can appear oily)

Obviously the low fluid is the leaking one. The box is at the lowest point, and whilst it may well be a leaky box, it's best to eliminate other sources 1st.

If it is the box, its most likely leak will be from where the driveshafts enter the gearbox (failed oil seals)

CAM

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have, in the recent past, had both coolant and PAS leaks, but somehow they both solved themselves and the level hasn't dropped in a month.

Engine oil has never ever been a problem. Not budged at all since I got the car in November.

Now from what I can tell, none of these fluids are greeny/yellow in colour anyway.
Coolant is blue, PAS fluid red/brown, oil brown...so I'm running out of options here!

Unfortunately the only facts I have are that:

a) something is leaking
b) it's dripping off the gearbox
c) it's green/yellow in colour (and not transparent - milky is the best way I can describe it. it looks radioactive!)
d) my fuel level is dropping much more rapidly than usual

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
dazultra2000 said:
it's green/yellow in colour (and not transparent - milky is the best way I can describe it. it looks radioactive!)
Sounds like hydragas/hydralastic suspension fluid...... but no such system on that car.

Back on topic, doesn't sound like gearbox oil.....
If you were to mix gearbox oil with water, wouldn't it go mayonaise/sticky like normal engine oil??? Maybe that is something you could test - rule out if its oil or not.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Maybe you've run over a carton of soemthing, or driven through a puddle near a chemical plant.

Is the 'box getting noisier, or your changes getting stiffer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts