MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

got a nice Alpine Head Unit in the car but makes the Speakers sounds pants...

not really got a lot of money to put to the ICE side sadly as all of it is going out on performance ;)

basically i know naff all about ice :$

i want a decent Alpine setup in the car and have thought of ordering the Alpine SXE-1725S for the Front door replacements and keeping these off the head unit (with the tweeters that are already in the car are these okay left alone or will they need re-wiring as i have removed the original speakers? heard somewhere that they are on cross-overs *what ever that is sorry :$* and will continue working as usuall with the new Alpines in?)

going to hunt around for an Acoustic Rear Parcel Shelf and stick a set of Alpine SXE-6925S 6x9's in it....

here comes my problem....do i link these speakers off the original speakers in the rear on the side? stop using the originals completely and only use the 6x9's, may put a Alpine SWR-1222D 12" 1500 Sub+Box in therefore will need an Amp not sure what one though???? if i do this i understand it will be better to put the 6x9's off the Amp aswell as the Sub? all i think i know is i need a 4 Channel Amp? not got a clue about what watt etc.. can anyone advise me on where to go from the step after doing my door speakers LOL

i really need help with this...

sorry for being so ICE'ly Dumb

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Cheers,
Jon..

·
Registered
mg_zs
49 Posts
Acoustic Shelf

Hi Jon, I have a acustic parcel shelf for sale at the moment which I have had sitting on ebay for about 2 months which I unable to shift if your interested?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hi Jon,

Alpine type s speakers are definitely very good. I'd, however go for the SPS-171A components. This will be a lot better than using the standard tweeters as the Alpine tweeters will be made to work with the mids. Crossovers are things which send the high sounds to the tweeters and the low sounds to the woofers (thus avoiding damage). If you do want to use the original tweeters just keep the wiring the same and simply replace the standard speaker with the new one.

Personally I wouldn't use 6x9s, i'd go for a decent set of coaxials in the rears. But if you do want to go for 6x9s disconnect the rears, don't have both. You can run these from the head unit as well but, like all speakers they will sound better amped. Thing is though, if you're going to amp any speakers you should amp the fronts, as this is where you will be sitting. Makes sense that you'd want the best sound from where you're sitting.

If you got a sub as well you can get a four channel amp and run one set of speakers from two channels and the sub from the other two, bridged. If you wanted to amp all your speakers you should get a mono amp for the sub and a four channel amp for the speakers.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The above post is excellent and exactly what I was to suggest.

The standard tweeters have proprietary wiring and you wouldn't be able to wire them into a set of co-axes in the first place.
Aftermarket component speakers work by having a dedicated driver unit for the mid-range sound, and then a tweeter for the high frequencies, both linked by the crossover, which filters the frequencies between the two speakers.

The standard speakers in the car, however, will not have a proper crossover, and instead will have some small circuitry built into the tweeter to cut away the lower frequency stuff. This means that you won't be able to use them with a set of standard coaxial speakers like the ones you have suggested.

Best off getting the SPS-171A (I used to have these in my 214) or the SPR-17LS (which is what I have in my ZS)

But yeah - avoid the 6x9s if you like to be able to hear detailed music.
All too many people fall into the 6x9 trap, mainly because those are the only speakers you can typically see in a car in a carpark for example.

Fact of the matter is while they have good volume, they lack in overall decent sound quality - which is why a set of coaxs in the back (or if you wanted to be extra-special, another set of components!) will help.

Do remember though that rear speakers aren't of massive use unless you're just after a bit of fill. The biggest benefit would be from a medium-sized subwoofer to help with some punchy lows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts