MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, if I disconnect the IACV should the revs increase or would the engine stop? I've cleaned it and put it back on but the tick over is still at 1000rpm, I also do a reset by the accelerator depressing 5 times but still at 1000rpm. Any suggestions/ideas on what else I could try would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
To my knowledge, the revs drop but does not necessarily stall the engine.

Check that the vacuum hose is not punctured/letting in air.

The only way I get my revs to drop and be stable was to adjust the idle screw using PSCAN. I got the number of steps on the stepper motor down to 20 steps (MGF target although anything up to 30 is probably OK) and now the idle is rock steady at 875 rpm when the engine is hot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge, the revs drop but does not necessarily stall the engine.

Check that the vacuum hose is not punctured/letting in air.

The only way I get my revs to drop and be stable was to adjust the idle screw using PSCAN. I got the number of steps on the stepper motor down to 20 steps (MGF target although anything up to 30 is probably OK) and now the idle is rock steady at 875 rpm when the engine is hot.
Hi Julian, thanks for replying. But what is a PSCAN? Would it be worth me buying a new motor? I see most of them are from China so I wonder if they are any good or not, but then what doesn't come from China? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I bought a new IACV before I reset the Idle valve. The new IACV made no difference. They do fail but you do not appear to be far out at 1000rpm (mine was idling at 1500 rpm before I fixed the problem) via pscan. It is your choice whether you replace the IACV. Make sure first that there are no air leaks via the breather/vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a new IACV before I reset the Idle valve. The new IACV made no difference. They do fail but you do not appear to be far out at 1000rpm (mine was idling at 1500 rpm before I fixed the problem) via pscan. It is your choice whether you replace the IACV. Make sure first that there are no air leaks via the breather/vacuum hoses.
Hi Julian, thanks for you advice/help on this problem but I don't think that I can go to the expense of buying a PSCAN. So I'll probably buy a new motor for the IACV. Many tha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Julian, thanks for you advice/help on this problem but I don't think that I can go to the expense of buying a PSCAN. So I'll probably buy a new motor for the IACV. Many thanks. Regards Glyn.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
If you change the IACV, you need a PSCAN or someone with one or a T4 to set it up. You can not just change the valve.

Pete.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you change the IACV, you need a PSCAN or someone with one or a T4 to set it up. You can not just change the valve.

Pete.
Hi Pete, thanks for info but I don't know anyone with a PSCAN. What is a T4? Regards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts