MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been told that if I replace the motor of the IACV I need to PSCAN it to set it up, is this correct? As I cant see why one would have to do that. Regards.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You do not HAVE to but I found it comforting to see all the metrics. You can adjust the number of steps of the stepper at 'hot' Idle by turning the idle screw until you hit 20 steps on PSCAN.

Actually, what I did before then, was to manually measure the no of degrees open of the butterfly valve when the engine was off. From memory, it should be 4 degrees open in the verticle plane. The number of degrees is adjusted by turning the idle adjuster so that I knew that the number of degrees was approx correct. I then got the engine hot and using Pscan as a guide, made a small adjustment using the idle adjuster to get the number of steps (per IACV) at 20 at idle (circa 875rpm). It has been rock steady since. Note that ALL adjustments are done at IDLE when the engine is HOT (by hot I mean to go on a fast run to get the engine oil up - from memory 85 degrees). At this point, the water temp will be around 95-100 degrees

Some people are of the view that you need to use Rover's Testbook to make the right adjustment but try finding a dealer (overseas) that still have Testbook.......

What pscan does is to confirm:

1. No of degrees open when engine is at idle (4 degrees from memory)
2. RPM when hot (875)
3. No of steps at hot idle of the stepper (20 steps)

Before I adjusted the new stepper using Pscan as my final guide, I was running at 35 steps instead of 20 steps and revs were varying a little. In my instance, PScan did make a difference

I have Pscan for the MGF and, for the Audi, I have a very nice piece of diagnostic equipment from the US as I NEED TO KNOW that the engine and various ECU's (in the Audiit is a must as there are many controlling various pieces of kit) are fully operational. That is just me.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
338 Posts
I must admit I didn't set up my new iacv with any diagnostics.

I did see a need to reset the throttle position sensor (there are posts on this procedure...) tho'.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must admit I didn't set up my new iacv with any diagnostics.

I did see a need to reset the throttle position sensor (there are posts on this procedure...) tho'.
Hi, thanks for that info its reassuring. I've reset TPS before so I know the procedure. Many thanks. Regards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do not HAVE to but I found it comforting to see all the metrics. You can adjust the number of steps of the stepper at 'hot' Idle by turning the idle screw until you hit 20 steps on PSCAN.

Actually, what I did before then, was to manually measure the no of degrees open of the butterfly valve when the engine was off. From memory, it should be 4 degrees open in the verticle plane. The number of degrees is adjusted by turning the idle adjuster so that I knew that the number of degrees was approx correct. I then got the engine hot and using Pscan as a guide, made a small adjustment using the idle adjuster to get the number of steps (per IACV) at 20 at idle (circa 875rpm). It has been rock steady since. Note that ALL adjustments are done at IDLE when the engine is HOT (by hot I mean to go on a fast run to get the engine oil up - from memory 85 degrees). At this point, the water temp will be around 95-100 degrees

Some people are of the view that you need to use Rover's Testbook to make the right adjustment but try finding a dealer (overseas) that still have Testbook.......

What pscan does is to confirm:

1. No of degrees open when engine is at idle (4 degrees from memory)
2. RPM when hot (875)
3. No of steps at hot idle of the stepper (20 steps)

Before I adjusted the new stepper using Pscan as my final guide, I was running at 35 steps instead of 20 steps and revs were varying a little. In my instance, PScan did make a difference

I have Pscan for the MGF and, for the Audi, I have a very nice piece of diagnostic equipment from the US as I NEED TO KNOW that the engine and various ECU's (in the Audiit is a must as there are many controlling various pieces of kit) are fully operational. That is just me.
Hi again Julian, as I said before I don't have access to a PSCAN. But I thank you for your replies and technical explanations. Regards Glyn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts