MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK This is very unlikely, but what If by a strange turn of events, BMW were the new owners of MG-Rover?

I dont think that they would make the same mistakes twice,

The New Mini is a sucess. This has a lot in common with the 75. IF RDx60 is up to scrath, could this not also be such a sucess.

It would also enable them to claw back some of the loan (OK, they would need to put in a lot of investment to get RDx60 into production. But what of the other cars?

Steve said that most of the MGR Range was due to be replaced within the next two years. Could this still happen with BMW in charge?

BMW have a lot of credibility - other car companies would begin to deal with them. I think this would be ideal for the future of Rover

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
big helllllll nooo! can u imagine how you would feel if bmw were in charge of rover! I think rover would rather go bust than have bmw in charge

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
i'd rather guage my eyes out with spoons than see them back in charge.

It will be a veeeeeeeeeeeery sad day if they did come back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They can have rover as they still own the name and rights to it,but without the sales of MG's this company would have folded month's ago and for bmw to be back in charge they would fold as well as rover would drag them down,rover as a brand is stuck in a time warp stuck in the 70's when people liked the old fashioned look if they had'nt made the ZED range i would'nt have one and i worked for MG-Rover for nearly 10 years goodbye rover and hello MG.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MGR have had far too much bad publicity this week to be a success. They can't recover without another respectable car company taking over.

·
Registered
rover_100
648 Posts
I do not agree Rover can be populair again they only need a new car!!! MG sales are doing well in the UK but on all the other markets Rover outsells MG.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MGZRohno said:
MGR have had far too much bad publicity this week to be a success. They can't recover without another respectable car company taking over.

Rubbish! If they can get the breathing space to get the next generation of models out I think they'll make it whoever backs them - be it SAIC or some anonymous millionaire.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
david_r_bates said:
Rubbish! If they can get the breathing space to get the next generation of models out I think they'll make it whoever backs them - be it SAIC or some anonymous millionaire.
Millionairre? It'll take more than that....

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Thats the tragic thing. All they need is a new car. Other manufacturers would have this whipped up in 10 minutes, but this is what MG-R needs so desperately. If they had a new car with MG versions, estates, saloons and a Cabriolets, with possible a Coupe' then things would be different and I wouldn't be having this conversation with you at the moment.

Absolutely tragic...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
byron said:
rover as a brand is stuck in a time warp stuck in the 70's when people liked the old fashioned look if they had'nt made the ZED range i would'nt have one and i worked for MG-Rover for nearly 10 years goodbye rover and hello MG.
TBH I would drive a Rover over an MG any day. I can just about remeber the seventies...I seem to remeber the cars being pretty ugly, and lashed together rather than 'old-fashioned' (although a better choice of words might be retro, or even clasically styled). In real terms there is NOTHING old fashioned about the 75 - any more than design classics such as the Barcelona chair or the Aga are old-fashioned.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Major Ingram said:
Millionairre? It'll take more than that....
Fair comment.....

Ok, what about the Ikea guy?

Flatpack Rovers you have to assemble yourself with an allen key :rotflmao:
They'd still have better build quality than your average French heap...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prehaps I should have called this thread:

'I would like an established motorcar manufacturer in charge"

Maybe Ford? Rover would die, but MG..........

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
rjessett said:
Prehaps I should have called this thread:

'I would like an established motorcar manufacturer in charge"

Maybe Ford? Rover would die, but MG..........

TBH I cant see who would....Ford and GM have enough problems at the moment...

Having said that, Neither Pug or Renault can make luxury cars, or really have a sporting brand....and MGR would be a far better bet than being sucked down by Fiat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts