MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i should make an effort and remove the noisy wiper motor with a new one.
I got one sent over for a reasonably price so nows the time to fit it.
I made a mental note were the linkages were when i un bolted them, then unbolted the wiper bracket bolt holding it to the car.
It came out with out major drama, just a matter of getting it in the right rotation and it comes right out.
The replacement motor was for a TF as the plug was diferent to the OE in the car so i needed to put the old plug wired to the new motor.
All went ok, i tested it befor attempting to reinstall it and it worked ok.
Whisper quiet compared to the old one.
I reinstated it in reverse to how i took it out.
I put the linkage back in the same position ( i think ?) but when i switched it on , ………nothing ?
The motor was getting hot, so i had life that far…
further inspection discovered it was binding in several places, ie each linkage end, and the center pivot behind the motor spline .
Just thinking as i wright this :
1/ should the spline bracket be at 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock or does it even matter ?

is there something so obvious i cant see it,

Any advice gratefully accepted ..

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will print that off an digest some more.

Surly the splined center bracket doesn't need to be in any fixed position a it cycles the full 360 d with the motor ?
curenntly the center joints seem to be hard against the fire wall ?
I supose this is going to trial and error until i get to fit.
It came out so its gotta go back in …!

· Registered
6,715 Posts
One thing to remember, perhaps when you are making surely the thing turns/spins, is that the motor has a 'park' position when you switch off the wipers.

Been caught out with that myself. That may or may not be one of your problems here.

Good luck.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
6,715 Posts
Yes it does.

· Registered
6,715 Posts
I followed the steps in the artical but still jams up mostly behind the motor spindle bracket against the fire wall.
I reatached the spindle bracket after checking it was in the at rest position .
Its gotta be something simple ….?
Is there any kind of spacer that sits behind the spindle bracket to keep it away from the bulkhead? Perhaps this is stuck to the back to the original unit, or fell away without you noticing on removal?

Apologies, but I cant remember if there is or isn't one, as its been several years since I replaced mine.

Alternatively, perhaps you need to get everything bolted in, including the nuts for the wiper mounts to get it all sitting at the right angle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts