MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would injecting pure oxygen into the air intake on a diesel have a similar effect to NOS on a petrol, or am I being a complete tool in my line of thinking.. Please feel free to belittle me in public if needed.. :slap:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Would injecting pure oxygen into the air intake on a diesel have a similar effect to NOS on a petrol, or am I being a complete tool in my line of thinking.. Please feel free to belittle me in public if needed.. :slap:
i'm not sure about that but there are systems that can supercool your inlet air which gives an impressive boost.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes you could do it, but you'd have to enrichen the oxygen content in the air rather than turn it to pure oxygen and all sorts of stuff will burn in pure oxygen.
The problem is that you'd need a HUGE tank to supply a useful amount of it as the engine consumes a VAST quantity of air per minute.
Also oxygen isn't exactly the safest thing to carry round in a car.

The theory is sound but the practicalities and safety mean it just isn't feasible

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
The soviet navy used to use pure oxygen to power their diesel submarines underwater.

They frequently caught fire and blew up.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
mg_zt
444 Posts
You would want to just have an additional amount of oxygen injected into the manifold with the rest of the air from the turbo IMO. But as said, you would have to be very very very careful, drive around in a fire-suit, and install some very good firefighting equipment in the car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you fit nos you will be injecting oxygen into your engine, lpg is probably better for a diesel as its a fuel and you would not need to richen your delivery to make best use of the nos.
Ray

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So much knowledge on here it's frightening....

Anyone know the cubic amount of air per second that passes the MAF sensor at 3000rpm on a 2000 R200SDi ????

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you fit nos you will be injecting oxygen into your engine, lpg is probably better for a diesel as its a fuel and you would not need to richen your delivery to make best use of the nos.
Ray
LPG is a very common method for increasing the power of a diesel enormously.

Try googling 'LPG diesel fumigation', should bring up some rather impressive things!

Basically, injecting LPG alongside diesel acts both as an accellerant for the diesel combustion, and a fuel in it's own right, it's basically a very similar effect to putting nitrous on a petrol car. You still need to have the incoming airflow to match, but nowhere near as much as if you were just dumping more diesel into the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts