MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left work, roof down, lovely night. Accelerated up the little ramp to leave the car park and noticed an instant loss of pwer as I accelerated.

Ignored it and went on my journey. Every time I accelerated the power would suddenly drop. Cue a complete shroud of "raw" petrol in the cabin and lots of popping.

I thought maybe a coil pack had gone and there was fuel not getting burned in the chamber and escaping through the exhaust.

I decided to go home (it was 7.30 by this time and no garages were open etc), thinking I would open her up at home and have a look.

It was gettig worse, then I noticed the fuel guage visibly going down and within 2 miles I had lost half a tank!!!!!! Add to this furious flashing form drivers behind me and I looked in my side mirror to see a trial of "fluid" behind me. With the smell and fuel loss it did not take Einstein to decided it was obviously fuel leaking.

I panicked expecting my car to explode and noted where the fire extinguisher was in the car before pulling into a petrol station, thinking if anyone can deal with fuel spills, the can.

The car continued to belch fuel onto the parking bay. I told the guys in the garage and one of them came and covered the ground in sand and helped me move the car away from the pumps/other cars etc.

I opened the boot to see the engine bay covered in fuel, even the top of the LHS panel on the cover grill was covered in fuel.

I was convinced it was going to blow up due to the location of the egine and called out the AA.

He sorted it in about 5 minutes. He had a call out only LAST NIGHT with Pug 106 leaking fuel as a line had burst. Turns out the main fuel supply fomr filter to manifold had popped out!!! He pushed it in and it is OK now.

He did say that due to the proximity of the engine, exhaust system, etc he siad it was lucky something did not ignite. I am also glad it never happened on Sunday on top of a mountain with no phone coverage!!

Question is: Do i get the connection checked , although AA guy said it was well seated now. BUt how did it work loose??

Also, is there anything I can do to the engine may to rmeove fuel spillage. It had all evaporated by the time I got home, but clearly it may still corrode bodywork etc

I need to go and get some fresh air now as I hate the smell of petrol and I feel sick.

Could have been worse I guess, a lot worse.

Oral diahorrea finished.!

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Glad it seems to have been sorted out easily, Broonage! :broon:

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Fuel system is a high pressure system. Sometime things give. I would have it checked and fit a new pipe & clip if in doubt. Even if it doesn't need it, it might be worth it for peace of mind.

Petrol isn't good for for paintwork or rubber etc but I don't think it will corrode metal etc. In fact it will probably leave a slightly oily coating.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor Dee was getting texts from me asking her to post a thread about before I got home, but it got fixed so quick she had ot abandon it:lol:

Cheers Deeage

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel system is a high pressure system. Sometime things give. I would have it checked and fit a new pipe & clip if in doubt. Even if it doesn't need it, it might be worth it for peace of mind.

Petrol isn't good for for paintwork or rubber etc but I don't think it will corrode metal etc. In fact it will probably leave a slightly oily coating.
AA man made a good suggestion:lol:

Saw each end, add a rubber pipe and some clips :eek:mg:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sounds like a pretty unnerving experience to have happen:errx2: . Hopefully the AA man is right but might been worth seeing if you can get new o-rings for the pipe. Have you had the fuel filter changed recently or anything else done near there in the engine bay to have dislodged the pipes?:irked:
Luckly petrol in liquid form has quite a high flash point so the chance of it blowing up would have be very unlucky, I'd be more annoyed at lossing that amount of expensive fuel in the end:mad: . As for it causing corrosion, no prob's as it will just evaporate off, remove greasyness and clean the engine:) .

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thing is I have no idea what was covered in fuel. Basically anything to the N/S above and below would have been soaked in petrol.

I may just bung a bottle of fairy liquid in there and hose it out :lol:

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Poor Dee was getting texts from me asking her to post a thread about before I got home, but it got fixed so quick she had ot abandon it:lol:

Cheers Deeage
Yeah, you're in my bad books for getting it fixed half way through me posting! ;) :lol:

We're not having a very good car week between us, are we :eyes:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thing is I have no idea what was covered in fuel. Basically anything to the N/S above and below would have been soaked in petrol.

I may just bung a bottle of fairy liquid in there and hose it out :lol:

I think you'll find it has all evaporated by now. It may still smell of petrol but there won’t be much there

MikeS

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a pretty unnerving experience to have happen:errx2: . Hopefully the AA man is right but might been worth seeing if you can get new o-rings for the pipe. Have you had the fuel filter changed recently or anything else done near there in the engine bay to have dislodged the pipes?:irked:
Luckly petrol in liquid form has quite a high flash point so the chance of it blowing up would have be very unlucky, I'd be more annoyed at lossing that amount of expensive fuel in the end:mad: . As for it causing corrosion, no prob's as it will just evaporate off, remove greasyness and clean the engine:) .
Nothing recently at all:dunno:

Yeah, I will get a new connection , as long as I dont have to do too much to the pipe (i.e. where it joins the manifold?:dunno:)

Yeah, around 20+ quid in fuel :lol:

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Yeah but fuel escaping under pressure can become aerosol or vapour. The heat off the exhaust etc can vapourise the fuel, which means it doesn't take much to ignite it.

pop out with a lighter and see if you can see any remaining petrol or vapour :err:

:run!:
Don't try this at home kids.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't try this at home kids.
Dunno, after going round the manifold once with an unlit blowtorch blowing propane into the engine, (to see if the inlet manifold was leaking) I dont think anything would scare me now :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah but fuel escaping under pressure can become aerosol or vapour. The heat off the exhaust etc can vapourise the fuel, which means it doesn't take much to ignite it.
Thats it make him twitchy again about it all going up like a nuc' after I tried to reassure him!:D

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Thats it make him twitchy again about it all going up like a nuc' after I tried to reassure him!:D
Yeah, sorry. Now I think about it fuel is one of the least reactive elements we know. Your more likely to have water combust. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:err::err: :lol:

The AA man seemed to think it causes some car fires, so I guess it can happen.

Anyway, disaster averted.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts